The joy of the Xbox One Game Preview scheme is that at a moments notice, players can be treated to some new features, new upgrades and potentially a number of new things to get to grips with. The Ark has just received that treatment…how do three new dinosaurs sound to you?
ARK: Survival Evolved is now in the grips of a mammoth update – quite literally. Whilst it is growing with new official Extinction Event Servers, swamps and snow caves, the real stars are the trio of new dinosaurs that will soon be found roaming the lands.
The unpredictable furry Woolly Rhino, the armored, deep-water Dunkleosteus, and the chitin-rich Eurypterid can all now be stumbled upon, as Studio Wildcard has introduced advanced ways to attack and defend, bulk up on armor, and to travel the deep seas with greater defenses than ever before. The Extinction Event official servers should now be launching but will be reset each and every month. These come with an in-game countdown and dramatic meteor impact to signal the end! The time-limited servers are a great way for new players to start on a level playing field and a are quite possibly the most challenging gameplay choice for those who want to see how far they can progress before the end of days!
The key Xbox One Updates include all of the following:
- All PC content and fixes through PC v238 including new Cave-Dungeons for Snow and Swamp Biomes, new creatures: Woolly Rhino, Eurypterid, Dunkleosteus, etc.
- All-New “Extinction Event” Servers, which reset after each month, with an in-game countdown! (these are additional brand NEW servers, not existing servers)
- Improved game frame rate by approximately 10% (rendering & cpu)
- Fixed Bug: Focus is now NOT on the Leave Tribe button when opening the Tribe Menu. Also added a Leave Tribe confirmation dialog
- If you get stuck underground, you now teleport back above ground
- Mammoth colorization fixed
- Timer values that were resetting to 0 on “Reset Options” now reset to their correct value
- Server administrators can now specify a list of administrator users to have access to the full set of administrator (console) commands, as on PC. Singleplayer/Non-Dedicated hosts always have this option. If you have administrator access, all PC console commands can now be inputted at the Pause Menu
- Server Options now have edit boxes for inputting direct arbitrary values
- Spyglass now works properly in splitscreen
If you need further info on each of the three new dinos, then check out them out right here…
Coelodonta utiliserro: Known as the Woolly Rhino, the Coelodonta is usually a large, friendly herbivore but can turn into a dangerous creature when charging its attackers. The Coelodonta builds up momentum as it charges, and depending on its ultimate impact speed, players can skewer the largest creatures in just one single gore! When not being hunted for their horns (ground into arousing powder) or fur (excellent insulating outfits), Coelodonta makes an excellent beast of burden. Its ability to take on far larger opponents (provided sufficient charging room), as well as its sizable load capacity, make it a solid addition to any trader party or gathering expedition.
Dunkleosteus loricaruptor: Known simply as Dunkleosteus, this fairly large fish is covered head to tail in armored plates and has incredibly powerful jaws that make great work of stone and oil formations in the ocean’s depths. It’s an excellent battle fish that is heavy with armor and a terrifying bite that tears through chitinous shells. While harvesting, Dunkleosteus can handily defend its rider from all but the largest threats in the waters. And once past its prime, Dunkleosteus can be harvested for a fair amount of Chitin.
Jaekelopterus eurypterus: Found only in the deepest watery depths on the ARK, “Eurypterids” are dangerous, adaptable Arthropods that, while not smart enough to be tamed, are rich in chitin and provide a debilitating poison that quickly renders its opponent unable to defend itself. Upon death, Eurypterid provides digestive tracts often containing Silica Pearls, or even have incredibly rare Black Pearls used for manufacturing mysterious technologies. This latter information makes them among the most valuable creatures on the island.
ARK Survival Evolve will finally make its way out of the Game Preview when it drops on Xbox One, PS4 and PC in full trim later this summer.