No matter how many times we write it and no matter how many times we say it, we just can’t get used to the new moniker for the latest edition of Pro Evolution Soccer – eFootball PES 2020. But hey, it’s only a name and the thing that counts is in the magic Konami have been able to embed onto the pitch. And now that it is launch day, we finally get to find out just whether or not eFootball PES 2020 has what it takes to be crowned champion.
Available on Xbox One, PS4 and PC right now, eFootball PES 2020 is Konami’s latest attempt to take it to EA and go head-to-head with FIFA in the battle for footballing glory. Priced up at £44.99, the Standard Edition of PES 2020 will allow you the chance to experience the most realistic and authentic game yet, with PES 2020 building on what has come before it to deliver a football experience that attempts to replicate the beautiful game.
In order to do this Konami have gone big, both in terms of new features and licenses. See, not only do they now have the likes of Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United on board – yep, the biggest clubs from the world’s biggest leagues – but they have also dropped in a number of new features, with a remastered Master League, a brand new Matchday Mode, enhanced visuals, a new dynamic dribbling system and more included. In fact, we can’t wait for the drop of the EURO 2020 DLC further down the line.
New in eFootball PES 2020 are the following opportunities:
- Finesse Dribble – having enlisted the expertise of legendary midfielder Andrés Iniesta, the game includes a new dynamic dribbling technique used with the right joystick to escape tight spaces or dodge incoming tackles without changing the direction you are facing
- Master League Remastered – with a new interactive dialogue system, highly-accurate transfer system, legendary managers such as Zico, Cruyff and Maradona, plus further customizability to manager models and sponsor logos, the fan-favourite mode has never been better
- Matchday – a brand-new mode for this year, Matchday presents weekly events for players to align with one of two clubs and contribute to the overall performance through individual matches, where every perfectly placed pass and crucial goal contributes points to their team. Towards the end of each week, the best performing users for each side are chosen as Representatives to compete in the Grand Final, livestreamed to all users in-game
- Enhanced visuals – the game now boasts an enhanced lighting engine, improved player models, realistic cutscenes and replay footage, plus a completely new preset camera angle that mimics real-world broadcast footage
- Biggest licenses – featuring over 400 teams and over 10,000 players, including Manchester United, FC Bayern and Juventus FC, with the latter being completely exclusive to eFootball PES 2020
- Additional features – upgraded trapping mechanics, context-sensitive kick accuracy, more realistic defence, a new intentional foul technique, adaptive player interaction system to replicate player personalities on the pitch, and much more
- EURO 2020 DLC – Coming as a free update in Q2 2020, brand-new European content and mode will be added to celebrate the UEFA EURO 2020 tournament – more information to follow
Jonas Lygaard, Senior Director Brand & Business Development at Konami Digital Entertainment B.V.commented: “It’s fair to say it’s been a huge year for the PES team. We have an incredible game to offer players, one that the world’s biggest clubs have publicly endorsed, and we couldn’t be happier. “eFootball PES 2020 will be the only football video game where you can play as Juventus FC in the iconic Allianz Stadium, we will be the only game to feature other legendary stadiums such as FC Bayern’s Allianz Arena and FC Barcelona’s Camp Nou, and our representation of global teams and leagues in Latin America, Russia and Turkey has gone from strength to strength.”
Should the Standard Edition of the game be to your liking then all is good in the world, especially seeing as world beaters like FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, Juventus FC’s Miralem Pjanic, FC Bayern’s Serge Gnabry and Manchester United’s Scott McTominay all feature on the cover of the Standard Edition of the game. You can also include the following extras too…
- • Ronaldinho 2019 – 10 match loan
- • Lionel Messi – 10 match loan
- • Premium Agent (3 Players) x 10 weeks
- • 3 Player Contract Renewal Tickets x 10 weeks
However, those wanted to go Brazilian and reckon they are a bit of a real superstar will probably be tempted by the Legend Edition of eFootball PES 2020. It is this which brings in the iconic Ronaldinho himself for £79.99 RRP. And it is this version which delivers on the bonus front including an exclusive 3D-scanned 2019 version of Ronaldinho for permanent use, Messi on a 10-match loan in myClub, plus Premium Agents and 3 Player Contract Renewals for in-game use.
Our full review is in the works and we’ll be sure to let you know how Konami have done with the development of eFootball PES 2020 on Xbox One as soon as we can, but for now, you’ll want to get yourself over to the usual digital stores – or your local retail outlet – and grab a copy of PES 2020 today.
Experience the most realistic and authentic football game with PES 2020, featuring Juventus exclusively licensed, alongside partnerships with FC Barcelona, FC Bayern München and Manchester United!