The Worms are coming and today Team17 have announced the official release date for W.M.D., plus a load of goodies that see the wriggly ones team up with all manner of other titles.
Worms W.M.D. will arrive on Xbox One, PS4, Seam and GOG.com come August 23rd 2016. It promises to be the most destructive Worms title to date, with a new 2D look, brand new weapons and the introduction of crafting. With over 30 campaign levels, a whole arsenal of weapons at your disposal and the chance to hop in vehicles and buildings for a more strategic approach, W.M.D. is hotly anticipated.
Today though, Team17 have also announced that all those who pre-order the game prior to its release will be gifted a ton of new content with the All-Stars pre-order edition. This brings a ton of guest stars from some hugely successful games and it’ll be great to see the Worms teaming up with the likes of Rocket League, Saints Row IV and, to a lesser extent, that bloody goat from Goat Simulator.
Full features of the All-Stars content are as follows:
- Rocket League – Worms fans worldwide are eager to cause mayhem with the all-new, mega-powerful Tank in Worms W.M.D, but wait until they get their hands on the Rocket League Octane Battle-Car! Soccer meets driving meets Worms. What’s not to like?
- Goat Simulator – Use the Goat-on-a-Rope weapon to strike fear into the hearts of your enemies as the goat swings around the gorgeous digitally painted 2D landscapes using its sticky tongue to hone in on them! Laugh maniacally as the homicidal maniac with hooves explodes, turning your opponents’ troops into worm meat! We also have a pretty cool Goat Simulator three mask set. Because, why not?
- PAYDAY 2 – It’s Payday time for the worms. Stick it to the man by dressing your invertebrate chums up in the masks that have become iconic for millions of PAYDAY 2 fans around the world and plan your attack looking like a total badass. They’ll never take you alive!
- Saints Row IV – The most outrageous, over-the-top action franchise in videogames, arrives in Worms W.M.D in the form of the Dubstep gun from Saints Row IV. This baby can inflict massive damage whilst making pedestrians (and worms) dance. Yes, dance. Team17 is proud, and slightly nervous, to announce that the Dubstep Gun will be bringing the dance-pocalypse as one of our mounted guns in honour of this awesome weapon.
- Unturned – The free-to-play zombie survival sensation, where millions of users try their best to stay alive, shuffles into Worms W.M.D in search of brains! And in homage to this popular zomb-fest, Worms fans can dress their slimy pals in a three mask set and wage war in an Unturned mission.
- Broforce – Coming to the explosive rescue of worms everywhere is the fan favourite Broforce Turkey Bomb, bringing the pain in Worms W.M.D. And that’s not all! The Liberty Strike is a Broforce flavoured airstrike which will rain down fiery hell from the skies. Booyah!
- Orcs Must Die! Unchained – The War Mage and Sorceress have vowed to protect the world and guard the rifts. But sometime after the last great battle, trouble is brewing again. Whilst we wait for the Orc Invasion, we can dress our worms up in this Orcs Must Die! three mask set and unleash the excellent crafted minions weapon.
- Yooka-Laylee – Dress your worms up as one of gaming’s most anticipated double acts with the awesome Yooka-Laylee seven mask set!
- The Escapists – A three mask set from the award-winning 2015 hit The Escapists is a must-have accessory for all wormy wannabe escapists. And if you want somewhere different to escape to, there’s a new mission waiting for you.
- Classic Worms – Ahhhh, precious memories of mutually-assured worm destruction! Don’t you just wish you could re-live them? We’ve got you covered! Unleash the Ming Vase, Sheep Launcher and Kamikaze weapons, get stuck into five classic missions and head into battle in a classic Worms three mask set!
- Xbox One exclusive content – Rare All-Stars – Exclusive to Xbox players is the Rare All-Stars content with some of the most famous characters from the legendary developer joining the carnage! Unleash the devastating Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark on your enemies and send your worms into battle with an exclusive five-mask set (Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Jetpac, Killer Instinct and Battletoads)
- Steam exclusive content – Team Fortress 2 – TF2 brings the worm pain with the devastating Sentry Gun weapon and nine mask set featuring the full TF2 crew of Pyro, Demoman, Medic, Spy, Soldier, Scout, Sniper, Heavy and Engineer.
If you still need convincing that Worms W.M.D. will be awesome, check out the latest trailer below.