Ever wanted to become a bug? Perhaps taking in that office meeting as a fly on the wall? Well, in Metamorphosis becoming a bug can be a reality – and that chance will be allowed to Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC players in 2019
Playing out as a first-person puzzle platformer, Metamorphosis, will take you on a body-altering adventure that has been inspired by Franz Kafka’s classic story – The Metamorphosis – as Ovid Works reimagines the life of salesman Gregor Samsa as he turns into a tiny bug.
It is up to you to help Gregor head off on a quest in which he attempts to save himself, and his friend Joseph, who has been arrested for unknown reasons. Unfortunately, Joseph can’t recognize this new arthropodal body.
In order to rescue Joseph and uncover the truth behind your metamorphosis, you will find yourself heading off on a perilous journey through a strange world which has turned twisted and unfamiliar. What once seemed like mundane dwellings has become an expansive obstacle course and so you’ll have to leap, climb, and chart a safe path through by using your newfound abilities to navigate the dingy nooks and crannies that exist within the cracks of civilization. Using your wits, unraveling the truth and returning to the life you once knew will all be par for the course.
“We’re all big fans of Kafka here at Ovid Works, and we wanted to pay tribute to his strange, haunting, darkly comic worlds by envisioning them as a video game,” said Zaq Chojecki, Game Director at Ovid Works. “That said, we didn’t want to make this a straight adaptation, as video games are a completely different medium. I think Kafka fans and newcomers alike will find plenty of surprises in store as they delve deep into the world of Metamorphosis.”
“Metamorphosis combines the first-person traversal puzzles of something like Portal with the philosophical existential musings of early 20th century literature,” said Jacek Debowski, CEO at Ovid Works. “It’s really unlike anything else out there!”
- First-person perspective from a bug makes you see the world in a whole new light
- Challenging environmental puzzles that have you searching for clues, creating diversions, and overcoming obstacles
- Rewarding exploration featuring unique movement mechanics that make full use of your tiny body and sticky limbs
- A surreal story that players can influence, inspired by the curious imagination of Franz Kafka
- Eccentric, colorful characters spanning the world of both humans and insects
- A hand painted world that adds a layer of the fantastical to even the grittiest environments
We’ll be sure to bring you more regarding Metamorphosis on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC as and when we have it. For now though, do yourself a little favour and check out the trailer below.