Feel like it’s time for a new adventure that plays out like a classic blast from the retro-fuelled past? Keep an eye on Berserk Boy, especially now that it has been announced for release on PC and consoles in 2022.
Featuring an original soundtrack by Sonic Mania composer, Tee Lopes, Berserk Boy comes from the cleverly titled, BerserkBoy Games team, with the publishing rights handled by those at Big Sugar, they previously behind Unto the End. It’s due to launch on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC in the backend of 2022, with a Q4 release planned.
A wildly colourful and exuberant 2D action-platformer, Berserk Boy is the premiere title from that BerserkBoy Games team, as they look to introduce players to Kei – aka Berserk Boy – a young hero who has the power to change into multiple elemental forms. It seems like he’ll need those skills too as he heads off on a heroic battle to save the planet from the evil Dr. Genos, utilising the power of Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air and Ice in the process.
Berserk Boy has an authentic, lovingly crafted retro aesthetic with a visual style that has been influenced by the classic look of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games. it’s also headlined by a pounding 16-bit soundtrack from Sonic Mania composer, Tee Lopes. With the promise of tight platforming action, gorgeously illustrated cut-scenes, a variety of play-styles, and a rewarding upgrade system, Berserk Boy offers a fresh, enjoyable experience for new and veteran players.
It’s all been in development since late 2019, with the six strong team at BerserkBoy Games, spread across the world – Japan, United States, Indonesia, and the UK.
Studio founder, lead dev, pixel artist, and animator, Zu Ehtisham, explains why he wants to make a 2D platformer, and how Berserk Boy is going to hit the mark: “I’m a huge fan of the genre. It’s where most of my favourite characters and franchises come from. Mega Man, Sonic, Pulseman, Gunvolt… I want to put Berserk Boy’s name up there as well!”
“Getting the aesthetic right is absolutely paramount. As a team, and from any player feedback we’ve had so far, we believe we’re on-track for capturing that old-school Sega vibe,” says Ehtisham. “We want to nail the ‘feel’ so it’s satisfying to play, and to strike the right balance between fun and challenge. It’s important players can complete the game, and feel like a superhero while they’re doing it.”
Key features of Berserk Boy include:
- Change into different Berserk forms: Merge with the five Berserk Force Orbs – Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air, and Ice – and absorb their unique abilities!
- Go Berserk! Chain together combos to fill your Berserk Meter and trigger a form’s special attack! Upgrade and become even more powerful!
- Explore New Hope City and beyond: Jump, dash, slam, and slide through multiple sprawling stages! Find alternate paths and hidden collectibles!
- A modern adventure with a retro feel: Slick and stylish platforming action inspired by a love for the genre greats! Play for big scores and fast times!
- Music by Sonic Mania composer Tee Lopes: Full original soundtrack pumping with high-energy 16-bit nostalgia! Enjoy the beats as you Go Berserk!
Will you be looking to go berserk with Berserk Boy on Xbox, One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch or PC in 2022? Let us know your thoughts and comments down below, and consider wishlisting it on Steam.