Biomorph. We’re sold on the name alone. Helps that it’s a super stylish new Soulslike Metroidvania affair, though.
Coming from the Lucid Dreams Studio, Biomorph will launch on PC and console in 2023, as players get the chance to fight terrifying monsters, biomorphing by stealing their shape and powers. You’ll also get to meet quirky characters, rebuild a city, and uncover the secrets of not just a fallen civilization, but your own mysterious origins.
Announced today, Biomorph will play as an action adventure; a dark, action-packed 2D soulslike Metroidvania that just so happen to be set in a sprawling, gorgeous hand-drawn 2D world. These will be enemies in every corner of this world too and it all of their powers could well be yours.
In Biomorph players will get to utilise their skills to explore a vast, varied world. Solving puzzles and platforming challenges, fighting deadly monsters and taking their shapes to use their powers will be at the heart of the experience. But you’ll need to be aware too, for every conquered creature can come back with new and even more threatening powers.
Progress will be made by building up the city of Blightmoor and befriending the townspeople, learning more about both their and the town’s origins. Players will level-up their character as they fight through the vast areas around the city, collecting new abilities, mementos and blueprints. And if you take on that journey, you will reveal surprising and alarming truths about your hero’s own origins.
The key features of Biomorph include:
- Play as the enemies by killing them and taking their shape. Players will be able to use their skills to fight other enemies or use their powers to navigate in uncharted territories.
- Fight through a challenging AI system where previously mimicked creatures unlock new powers to create a unique experience while revisiting areas of the game.
- Explore a vast non-linear, interconnected world composed of 16 different environments, home of optional boss fights, eccentric NPCs, tons of secrets and upgrades to reward the most daring explorer.
- Choose a fighting style by using an arsenal of melee and range weapons, each of them having its own upgrade trees, to bash and shoot enemies.
- Create different builds in support of individual play styles by equipping and mixing different unique skills that you can upgrade.
- Customize the look of the main hub of the game, Blightmoor, to have a unique experience and to feel at home.
Biomorph is set to release on PC and console in 2023. For now, hit up the trailer below.