Subnautica: Below Zero is the latest single player survival adventure to take players under the waves, building on what the original Subnautica was able to deliver when it came out of early access back in 2018. This time around though things are stepping up a gear, with an even harsher, more unforgiving watery world to explore. Yet again though, survival is the main task at hand.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, PC and Nintendo Switch, Subnautica: Below Zero promises to deliver an adventure that is quite literally out of this world, plunging players into the icy depths found on the Planet 4546B.
Priced at £29.99, Below Zero looks to play on the usual explore, craft, survive loop that many other titles in the genre have attempted, with the freezing landscape you take in the main cause of concern at all times. After seeing players first drop onto this planet in Early Access and then full release in the original Subnautica, this latest chapter should well suit those veterans of the icy alien world, and those coming in fresh for action.
Subnautica: Below Zero will require you to draw on all your skills, your wits and more as you attempt to find out what has happened to your sister. Expect to happen upon data logs and to stumble into research equipment, with only limited resources present. It’s here where your crafting and creative skills will need to come to the fore, taking what you can find and working magic until you create items suitable for the adventure ahead.
The problem is, in Subnautica: Below Zero it won’t just be the world that is looking to kill you, for around every corner inhabitants and creatures of Planet 4546B will be met – and not all of them will be looking to become your friend.
Should you be looking to extend the story of what was originally rolled out in Subnautica, and feel that this universe is one that you just need to spend more time in, Subnautica: Below Zero promises to deliver.
- Return to Planet 4546B – Submerge yourself in an all-new, sub-zero expedition in an arctic region of Planet 4546B. Arriving with little more than your wits and some survival equipment, you set out to investigate what happened to your sister…
- Uncover the Truth – Alterra left in a hurry after a mysterious incident. Abandoned research stations dot the region. What happened to the scientists who lived and worked here? Logs, items, and databanks scattered among the debris paint a new picture of the incident. With limited resources, you must improvise to survive on your own.
- Discover Uncharted Biomes – Swim beneath the blue-lit, arching expanses of Twisty Bridges. Become mesmerized by the glittering, mammoth crystals of the Crystal Caverns. Clamber up snow covered peaks and venture into the icy caves of Glacial Basin. Maneuver between erupting Thermal Vents to discover ancient alien artifacts. Below Zero presents entirely new environments for you to survive, study, and explore.
- Construct Habitats and Vehicles – Survive the harsh climate by constructing extensive habitats, scavenging for resources, and crafting equipment. Blast across the snowy tundra on a Snowfox hoverbike. Cruise through enchanting and perilous biomes in your modular Seatruck.
- Research Alien Lifeforms – Something undiscovered lurks around every corner. Swim through the giant Titan Holefish, encounter the haunting Shadow Leviathan, and visit the adorable Pengwings. Keep your wits about you. Not all creatures in this strange world are friendly.
- Survive the Chilly Temperatures – Jump in, the water’s warm. The below zero temperatures of this arctic region pose a new threat. New weather conditions blanket above-ground habitats. Craft a toasty cold suit, sip on piping hot coffee, and warm up next to Thermal Lilies to stave off the chill.
- An Ocean of Intrigue – What really happened to your sister? Who were the aliens who came here before? Why were they on this planet? Can we find solace from grief in truth? Below Zero extends the story of the Subnautica universe, diving deep into the mystery introduced in the original game.
Our full review of the fully optimised game on Xbox Series X|S will be coming along in the days ahead, but if you’re looking to head under thos cold ivy waves once more, will find the game present on all the usual digital stores that cover the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC bases.
Let us know if you decide to head under.
Dive into a freezing underwater adventure on an alien planet. Below Zero is set two years after the original Subnautica. Return to Planet 4546B to uncover the truth behind a deadly cover-up. Survive the harsh conditions by building habitats, crafting tools, and diving deeper into the world of Subnautica.