You may think that we’re smack bang in the middle of a golden era for gaming, but it’s nothing when you compare it to what happened way back in the mid-1980s. You see, that was the true golden gaming age, with games such as Elite, Duck Hunt and Tetris all coming to market. And alongside those? The brilliant Boulder Dash. Today though, near 40 years on, Boulder Dash is back, remade, revamped and remarketed with launch of Boulder Dash Deluxe on PC and console.
Just typing ’40 years’ makes us feel extremely old, mostly as we had the pleasure of checking out Boulder Dash when it originally dropped back in the day. Old or not though, the arrival of the classic IP onto Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC is one you should be excited about.
Boulder Dash Deluxe is the reincarnation of the classic from 1984, bringing together a collection of the very finest games and levels from the series, all remastered and reinvigorated to ensure they fit nicely in the modern gaming world.
It sits with a price of £12.49 from the Xbox Store, and whilst that on other stores may vary slightly, expect to pay roughly that amount. And if you do, you’re in for a treat. You see, Boulder Dash Deluxe sees you joining the life of Rockford as they dive headlong into a maze of worlds and challenges.
Your primary task will be to dig, dig and then dig some more, all in hope of stumbling upon valuable gems and treasure chests. But guarding the way will be enemies, all out to stop you in your quest. it won’t be an easy task to succeed in Boulder Dash Deluxe, mostly due to 180 levels being in play, but make some progress and a ton of collectibles and power-ups will become yours.
Stephan Berendsen, President of BBG Entertainment GmbH, states: “Boulder Dash was always one of my favorite games growing up, along with many other children of the 80s. We’re thrilled to be able to bring it to an entirely new audience now, and to share Peter Liepa’s creation with gamers on nearly every platform.”
Make sure you get a look at this extensive features list too…
- THE retro game and legendary action puzzler for players young and more experienced alike arrived, combining up-to date-graphics with original game features – spanning 35+ years of Rockford™
- The original Boulder Dash® is a pioneering interactive game dating back to the early times of the home computer and video game era.
- Dig through spectacular caves with 3D elements; avoid falling boulders; collect valuable gems and avoid nefarious enemies along the way
- Discover treasure chests with rare collectibles and strong power-ups
- While providing classic Boulder Dash® core gameplay mechanics and features, Boulder Dash® Deluxe introduces exciting new elements such as diagonal movement, which opens up new and intriguing puzzles
- 180 all-new levels with advanced features!
- Includes 20 levels from the original 1984 Boulder Dash version
- 9 exciting, brand spanking new worlds with high-end graphics, having their own, unique textures, go to Macmarnua Sea or Urath Castle – or back in time to the Classic 1984 World with its caves
- 15 new special opponents like Octopus, Shark Polar bear, and Snow tiger will keep your mind agile and you on your toes
- The Liepa World, a premium world by videogame legend Peter Liepa who returned to the game he created 35 years ago with 20 of the most mind-bending levels yet!
- Full character customization of your game character Rockford™, e.g. shirt, pants, shoes, eyewear, headgear, hair, and facial hair
We’re massively sold on seeing Boulder Dash Deluxe rock up onto our beloved Xbox consoles and will be sure to drop a review of how it plays as soon as we can. If you’re looking for the download, you’ll find it from the Xbox Store.
You’ll also be able to pick up Boulder Dash Deluxe on PlayStation, Switch and PC too.
Let us know in the comments or via the socials if revisiting the glory days of gaming is going to be on the agenda.
THE retro game and legendary action puzzler for players young and more experienced alike arrived, combining up-to date-graphics with original game features – spanning 35+ years of Rockford™ and his friends, digging though caves to collect gems