Where the likes of Among Us boil the Mafia-style murder mystery to its barest of bones, seeing little jelly-bean characters slice each other up, on the other side of the coin we have Eville.
A more realistic, grittier multiplayer social deduction game that will have you scrabbling for a pen just to figure out the many roles it offers, Eville releases onto Xbox (onto Game Pass, no less!) and PC, as it pits a group of up to twelve players against each other as they either go about their day as a Villager, or hide in the shadows, picking each player off as a Conspirator.
Where Eville ramps up the complexity is with a ton of different roles to help the good-guys vote out and execute the killers, each with unique abilities, as well as a ton of items that can be deployed throughout the day.
Developers VestGames are keen to keep you around following an untimely demise, and don’t want you to head off pending a loss. Once you die, you will come back as a Ghost, with supernatural powers that you can bestow upon the remaining living, all in the attempt to mount a comeback and root out those ne’er-do-wells!
Whilst there is just one map on launch – beautifully crafted as a medieval village scene – further maps will be coming as free pieces of content following today’s launch. That is just one bit of information we managed to uncover in our exclusive interview with one of the devs.
Key game features:
- • Real-time 3D gameplay: Interact with players, vendors, NPCs, use items, visit player homes and use your role-specific abilities
- • Player Customization: Choose a Skin, Equipment, Accessories, Paintings, Stickers, Emotes, and more
- • Game Settings: Set custom rules for your own play session
- • Scalable session size: Roles are distributed and balanced automatically based on the number of players in your game
- • Proximity based voice and text chat
- • Become a ghost, acquire unique abilities and influence the living players even after death
Over on the Steam page for the game you can find further features, where as a villager you will:
- Win by executing all conspirators
- Call in meetings, vote out and execute the Conspirators
- Find your dead friends and use your abilities and social skills to find out who murdered them
- Brew potions to save yourself, others, or poison people you think are suspicious
- Lift the curses and evil magics brought upon Eville by the Conspirators
- Trade with vendors and acquire items to protect yourself and gather intel on other players
- Use your unique role abilities to observe players, talk to ghosts, see footsteps or place traps in the village
On the other hand, those nasty Conspirators will find themselves engaging in a whole other list of activities:
- Win by killing all innocent Villagers
- Get rid of Villagers by sneaking into their home at night and murdering them, or trick Villagers with your deceptive skills
- Wake up at night, steal and deceive the sleeping villagers
- Put evil curses upon the village, securing your win
- Buy trade goods on the black market, giving you unique items such as boots to protect you from traps
- Use the underground to traverse through Eville in secret
If you fancy getting involved with the latest social deduction title to hit storefronts, then look no further than Eville on Xbox and PC. For those of you on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, you can pick up a copy of the game via the Xbox Store for £12.49, or for free if you have Game Pass!
Stay tuned for a review of Eville on Xbox.
Betray your friends – and lie your way to victory. In the multiplayer social deduction game Eville you find yourself in a village riddled by a series of murders. Some say it might have been you – or was it? Convince others you’re not a murderer to stay alive! Inspired by popular social-deduction party games such as Werewolves this is a new take on the concept with realtime gameplay and interaction. Take on the role of a Villager or Conspirator and do your deeds when no one is watching. Place wards to observe other players or tread through the village to visit any house and go on a killing spree. It is your task to communicate with other players and prove your innocence. Use your unique role abilities to your advantage and make sure your team survives. Devious murders are taking place in the once peaceful village of Eville. Each day the Villagers can decide on suspects and execute them until all evil-doers are found. Each night however the Conspirators gather and decide to murder another innocent Villager until they take over the village. You play as a random role and have no idea who is on your side. Use your abilities and social skills to find out!