Previously got your farming kicks from the likes of Farm Together? Well, Atomicrops takes that idea and runs with it – straight off to a post-apocalyptic world in which you’ll find yourself farming, and dying, over and over again.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, Atomicrops from the Raw Fury team mixes things up in ways the genre has never seen, tasking you with working the farm to the best of your ability, whilst always keeping one eye out for the dastardly roguelike elements to crop up.
One of our most hotly anticipated indie games of 2020 and priced at £12.49, Atomicrops on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC manages to worm plenty of ideas into its overall masterplan. The vast majority of your time here will be spent reaping the post-apocalyptic wasteland you call home, attempting to grow the most mutant crops possible, making a bit of cash and enhancing your life in the process. But as you would expect, there are others that are looking out for themselves and you’ll need to consistently fight back against post-nuclear pests as they try to take your crops down.
By upgrading your equipment and farmhouse, things should get easier, as should marrying in to the local community – if only because two farm hands are better than one. Basically put though, how you go about finding success in Atomicrops is entirely up to you, with the decisions you make vital for any form of success to be found.
Key features include:
- FARM. Grow mutant crops and reap a bountiful harvest to sustain humanity… and make a huge profit.
- MARRY. Woo and marry a kindred spirit from the local town to fight and farm alongside you.
- KILL. Fight off hungry, post-nuclear pests at night. Hunt and forage in dangerous biomes for seeds and loot during the day. Turn your enemies into fertilizer to increase the quality of your crops.
- UPGRADE. Explore the far reaches of the biomes to find useful relics of farms long past. Discover rusty farm equipment, antique gardening tools, and tomes of how-to garden guides to increase your farming power. Spend your money in town to upgrade your gun and abilities. Permanently upgrade your farmhouse for bonuses that persist across playthroughs.
- BEFRIEND. Recruit an entourage of pig pals, chicken chums and cow colleagues to automate farming tasks. Cultivating atomicrops is a tough job, you’ll need all the help you can get. Adopt a variety of bizarre cats to live on your farmstead.
- COMPETE. Advance through the more challenging years to unlock score multipliers and secure your place among the leaderboards of champion farmers.
If you’re up for a roguelike affair, need to get a new farming fix, or just want to battle it out against some beasties, then Atomicrops on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC is for you. Our full review is fast upcoming and will let you in on how things play out, but should you be happy to take a punt before reading those words then the usual stores will sort you out. The Xbox Store is our favoured place to go.
Edit: Our review of Atomicrops is now available for perusal.
You own the last farm in the post-apocalypse wasteland, inherited from your late grandfather’s will mere moments before the surrounding countryside gets vaporized in a nuclear blast. Now as the only source of food for the local town, and constantly under threat from the local mutant wildlife, you do as any self-respecting farmer would: Farm. Marry. Kill. Atomicrops is an action roguelite farming simulator. Armed with your hoe, a watering pail, and a fully automatic weapon, you must grow ultra-GMO crops to feed the local town… and make a hefty profit. Defend your land from the mutant pests and bandits that invade nightly to ravage your fields. Court and wed townsfolk to fight and farm by your side. Gather upgrades to increase yields, profit and power. Befriend the local wildlife to help with the chores.