You may not be one to take notice of what happens in the Early Access market, preferring instead to wait for a full release, but today sees something pretty special hit both Steam Early Access and Xbox Game Preview. Danger, darkness and Dwarves in Deep Rock Galactic.
Opening for business today is the Dwarven miner from Coffee Stain Publishing and Ghost Ship Games – Deep Rock Galactic. And if you have any interest in cooperative gaming, then this is surely one to keep a massive eye on.
Priced at $24.99/£19.24 Deep Rock Galactic is digging its way to the Steam and Xbox Early Access schemes in order to ready itself for a full release further down the line. Please remember that any game that utilises this format may never actually see the light of day, may come with multiple bugs, and may change considerably over time. But should anything look pretty exciting, it is this. There’s also a free trial available.
Deep Rock Galactic will see you with taking up arms as one of four classes of badass dwarven miners, each with their own invaluable set of skills, gear, and no doubt beards. Playing as the Driller, the Engineer, the Scout and the Gunner, you’ll need to work together in order to survive a relentless onslaught of ravenous aliens and escape the procedurally generated caves – all with your precious bounty intact.
And the best thing about it? From Game Preview launch you’ll be able to go looting across a plethora of different missions in 7 unique regions of Planet Hoxxes, with plenty more content to come.
Key features of Deep Rock Galactic are:
- 4-player Co-Op: Work together as a team to dig, explore, and fight your way through massive cave systems filled with hordes of deadly enemies and valuable resources.
- 4 Unique Classes: Mow through enemies as the Gunner, scout ahead and light up the caves as the Scout, chew through solid rock as the Driller, or support the team with defensive structures and turrets as the Engineer.
- Fully Destructible Environments: Destroy everything around you to reach your goal. There is no set path so you can complete your mission your way. But proceed with caution, you don’t want to stumble into an alien swarm unprepared!
- Procedurally Generated Cave Network: Explore a network of procedurally generated cave systems filled with enemies to fight and riches to collect.
- Light Your Path: The underground caves are dark and full of terrors. You will need to bring your own lights if you want to illuminate these pitch-black caverns.
“Deep Rock Galactic is a gleefully chaotic mix of shooting, mining, fully destructible caves and some super irresponsible corporate management,” says Søren Lundgaard, CEO/Co-Founder of Ghost Ship Games. “We’re absolutely thrilled to be launching onto Xbox and PC, and we have big plans for the continued development of Deep Rock Galactic – new enemies, new biomes, new upgrades, even new playable classes!”
“Deep Rock Galactic is one of the first titles we’re launching as Coffee Stain Publishing and we couldn’t be happier to work with Ghost Ship Games,” says Anton Westbergh, CEO/Co-Founder of Coffee Stain. “Since the game was revealed at Microsoft’s E3 showcase last year, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and we’re thrilled that Ghost Ship Games chose us to join them on this wild journey.”
Get yourself over to the Microsoft Store (or Steam if that is the way you are inclined) and grab a copy of Deep Rock Galactic now. We’ll have some thoughts and opinions up in the next few days too, but the chances are the combination of Dwarves, shooting, looting and mining will go down very well indeed.