There are so many roguelite adventures kicking around the various digital stores that any new addition to the genre needs to try something slightly different in order to stand out. That’s where Blazing Beaks comes in with a new greed system that will see you well rewarded, but equally well punished.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, after previously launching on PC and Nintendo Switch a couple of years back, Blazing Beaks from the Applava team will see you wandering a wonderfully colourful world as you take a bunch of feathered friends through hordes of mutants, monsters and the most creepy of creatures.
Thankfully your guys are armed to the teeth, so as the exploration takes place you’ll certainly have no issues holding your own. You’ll also have no issues holding all manner of treasure, yet with everything you pick up, whether it actually is rewarding or not is up for debate. You’ll constantly need to consider what you do, and don’t, gather up.
With a varied set of characters, and some challenging yet fun gameplay, if you’re looking for a roguelite that is slightly different to the norm, then you shouldn’t be able to go wrong with what Blazing Beaks provides. It gets better though, with a local co-op mode and tournament mode complimenting the main story affair. There are a host of options available in those game modes too…
- Story mode (1-2 local players): An explosive adventure where you’ll find yourself fighting invaders and searching for the origin of evil. There’s an endless onslaught of enemies for you to shoot, blast, zap and disintegrate every which way. A cute and charming world with challenging levels full of surprises.
- ● Normal: Procedurally generated levels where every single playthrough is a unique experience.
- ● Seeded: You can set your seed and play the same levels.
- ● Daily: Compete with other players in a newly generated run every day.
- ● Challenges: Try to beat various twisted challenges.
- Tournament mode (2-4 local players): A battle experience where you compete with your friends to find out who’s the real hero.
- ● Deathmatch: Everyone out for themselves. Last beak standing wins.
- ● One gun mode: Each player starts with the same randomly chosen weapon which cannot be changed for that round.
- ● Drop Hearts mode: A player drops some hearts when he is hurt and he or any other player can collect them.
- ● Skull keeper mode: Grab and keep the golden skull without losing it for a certain amount of time and all your opponents will lose 1 HP.
- ● Hunting mode: Each player starts with a spear. Once you throw it, you need to grab it before you can throw it again.
Our review of the game on Xbox Series X|S speaks extremely positively of the game – give it a read and you’ll surely be tempted to grab a download.
- Artifacts: You will be tempted to take them but doing so will make you really suffer.
- Story mode: Plow your path through a whole host of enemies and whack them back to where they came from. You can play normal, seeded, daily or challenge modes.
- Tournament mode: Arena based local multiplayer mode where your friendships will be really tested.
- Local Co-op for Story mode: All this Story mode carnage is even more fun when you play with a friend.
- 10 playable characters: The unique abilities each character has will make gameplay even more versatile.
- Hours and hours of fun: Randomly generated levels and loot drops make every playthrough different.
Once sold, get over to the Xbox Store, drop the £12.49 that is asked, and prove that greed can be a good thing. At times.
Roguelite – where too much greediness can be fatal. A colorful world with armed birds blazing their way through piles of mutants, monsters and creepy creatures. Lots of mysteries to unravel, secrets to discover and levels to explore.