Got a time machine? You don’t need one in the video gaming world as the chance to head back to years of the past is a viable option. Today that’s exactly what we find ourselves doing with Lake, the slice-of-life adventure which has just rocked up onto Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC.
Coming from the Whitethorn Digital team, with full creation handled by those at Gamious, Lake whisks you off to 1986, September 1st by chance. It puts you in the role of Meredith Weiss, a 40-something who has returned to her hometown in order to help cover her father in his role of the local postman. Ditching an IT career for a couple of weeks in the middle of nowhere is obviously good for the soul, and it’s here where you’ll follow the life and times of Weiss.
The town of Providence Oaks, Oregon will handle these adventures, yet how they play out is entirely down to you. With no right or wrong answers available, your decisions will dictate how the adventures of Lake play out, with you chatting to a range of characters, learning more about them and their quirks.
With a variety of activities to get involved in, the chance to take your dad’s postal truck out for a spin, and the opportunity to experience a wonderfully rustic world, there should be much to love about what Lake holds.
The key features include:
- Escape to a beautiful, rustic environment without cellphones and the Internet.
- Drive around the lake in your dad’s trusty mail truck, or let the auto-pilot do the work.
- Talk to a range of engaging characters, each with their own personalities and quirks.
- Choose after-work activities: hang out with your friends, help out your neighbours or stay home and read a book.
- Experience two in-game weeks of branching story that doesn’t shy away from slice-of-life themes.
- Determine your own story: there are no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answers or endings, simply what you want to happen.
Our full review of Lake on Xbox is able to fill you in on the finer details. it’s probably a good shout to give that a read before heading over to the Xbox Store and grabbing your download for £15.99.
It’s September 1, 1986. You take on the role of forty-something Meredith Weiss, who returns from the big city to her quiet hometown. She exchanges her busy career at a software company to fill in for her dad, the local mail carrier. During her two-week stay in beautiful Providence Oaks, Oregon, she runs into a few familiar faces as well as plenty of new folk. As Meredith, you get to decide who to talk to, who to befriend and perhaps even start a romantic relationship with. Whatever happens, at the end of her stint she’ll have to make up her mind: return to her demanding job in the big city, or stay in the town she grew up in?