From Squanch Games, High on Life will see you wielding an arsenal of talking guns (yes, talking guns), as you look to save humanity from an alien cartel that wants to use humanity as a drug. Sounds weird, yeah!?
Coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC through Steam and Epic later in 2022, High on Life is Squanch Games’ weird and hilarious adventure, put together by the mind of Justin Roiland (Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites) and the team behind Trover Saves the Universe.
After a cartel of aliens invades Earth, a freshly minted high-school graduate grabs the nearest talking gun and becomes the deadliest intergalactic bounty hunter across the cosmos. I mean, of course they do.
The alien invaders in High On Life are on a mission to dominate Earth, but with a particularly sinister twist: Garmantuous and his cartel goons are intent on enslaving humanity and using them as a new drug. Defeating these powerful aliens isn’t going to be easy; bounty hunters will work with (or against) NPCs, collect upgrades, and acquire an arsenal of talking guns on their journey. Each of these guns has its own unique personality and special gameplay, and they provide their own narrative take on what’s going on.
“We like to flex our creative muscles and try new things. If you look at our previous work, I think you’ll pick up on that,” said Mike Fridley, Squanch’s Studio Director. “At the same time, Justin’s unique comedic voice ties all of our games together. We want fans to be able to look at one of our games and immediately know that it’s from Squanch. They know it’ll be funny, but that it’ll also be a great experience that’s fun to play. High On Life is a first-person shooter, and we’re taking what we love about that genre and pushing it in a really squanchy direction.”
In High on Life Bounty hunters will travel between planets during their adventure, visiting memorable locations like a dense and dangerous jungle, a city built deep inside an asteroid, and a variety of other dynamic and changing worlds. Players will run into dangerous local wildlife, help a bunch of alien weirdos, and test their mettle against a variety of Hunter Challenges. And because your guns will happily chatback, you’ll never be alone.
Key features include:
- GUNS ARE YOUR FRIENDS (AWWW)! – Rescue and team up with charismatic, talking guns to become the deadliest intergalactic bounty hunter the cosmos has ever seen. Each weapon has its own unique personality, and you’ll get to know these guns (in a cool and normal way) during your journey. They’ll share their thoughts and perspectives during pivotal moments, and the decisions you make can lead to different outcomes in the story.
- GO ALL OVER THE PLACE! – Navigate dynamic and changing worlds that include a jungle paradise, a city built inside
- of an asteroid, the hub of the cosmos, and a variety of other strange places. These aren’t one-way trips, either. Hunters can revisit planets to track down collectibles, rescue human stragglers, and discover Exciting Narrative Surprises.
- TAKE THE LAW INTO YOUR HANDS OR WHATEVER! – Leverage the unique skills of each gun to go up against a variety of criminals as you track down the nefarious Garmantuous and his gang of alien goons. Hunters are encouraged to strategically choose the best gun for every situation, sizing up enemies and swapping weapons on the fly. Just so you know, these guys have all been extensively researched. They use humans as drugs, so it’s totally cool that you’re doing this. Seriously.
- DO SOME OTHER STUFF! – Hunters can hone their skills in replayable Hunter Challenges, earning in-game resources to buy upgrades and an array of alien technology. Warp Bases can be used to recharge your bounty hunter suit and special ammo — or even enemy encounters when you’re feeling bloodthirsty. Get to know a bunch of weird, fun, and hilarious, NPCs! Did we mention that the guns talk?
“I wanted to make games that I wanted to play, and that was the spark that sort of lit the fire of Squanch Games. Then we shipped Trover, we shipped Accounting+, and now we’re on this absolute dream game that we were kind of building towards this whole time,” said Justin Roiland at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase 2022 aftershow.
High on Life’s first reveal trailer is below. Give it a watch and then hold title for release on Xbox and PC later in 2022.