It may never have really gone away, but the release of Streets of Rage 4 in 2020 made sure that the old-school side scrolling brawler could continue to kick and punch its way to glory in more modern times. There’s always room in the market for a new beat ’em up though and that’s where WarDogs: Red’s Return comes in.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch, with a PC launch occurring at some point too, WarDogs: Red’s Return is thrust into the limelight by those at QUByte Interactive, allowing gamers the chance to fight against a host of enemies, utilising a variety of punches, kicks and a glorious combination of both.
The setup of WarDogs: Red’s Return is one that is straight out of science-fiction (or maybe not). You see, a plague has swept the world and this has seen humanity turn to genetic engineering in order to stay alive. Red’s Return focuses efforts on a a young fighter – Red – who is attempting to survive in this world; one in which gangs pretty much control the landscape. It’ll be up to you to help him hunt down old friends and begin to understand how and why the world is as it is – all before it is too late.
WarDogs runs at a stupidly low price of £3.29 from the Xbox Store, and so if you’re in the market for a new 2.5D beat ’em up, having exhausted other options already on the market, this should be one to check out. It’s helped along with a host of ideas too – a Story Mode, Special Moves to enjoy, plenty of Combos to pull off and the chance to customise things to your own liking throughout. Throw in daily levels through a Mission mode and some seriously dangerous streets to wander, there’s some decent hope for WarDogs: Red’s Return.
- Gameplay Retro-Style – Fight against hordes of enemies in style “2.5D retro beat ‘em up” inspired by classics of the genre.
- Combos – Try different combinations of punches and kicks to perform different moves.
- Special Moves – Make use of special techniques and powerful abilities called Breaks to gain an advantage and change the course of combat.
- Story Mode – Follow Red in the first part of his saga, facing several challenges to uncover the reason behind the current chaos state in the suburbs. (More levels will be launched in a near future).
- Dangerous Streets – Defeat several different enemies, as well as threatening bosses in each level. Derrote vários inimigos diferentes, bem como chefes ameaçadores em cada fase.
- Team up – Purchase and equip a wide range of cosmetics and implants items with effects that allow you to customize your character to best suit your game style.
- More challenges – Face alternative daily levels on Mission mode, with each time more chances to receive rare rewards based on your performance.
We’ll have a full review of WarDogs: Red’s Return for you in the days ahead. For now though the usual stores will provide access to the downloads you are looking for. You’ll find the game available on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.
After a catastrophic plague almost sweeping the world, The remnants of humanity have turned to genetic engineering to survive. Unrecognizable, humans now strive to recover in the few cities that still exist. Living in the periphery of a technologic paradise, the outcasts of society live under the domain of the many gangs that control the suburbs. Among them is Red, a young fighter going back home after a year away, finding it immersed in conflict. After seeing his old friends, he needs to discover who is responsible for this chaos and end his plans before it’s too late.