Edit: 14/04/21 – It’s now been confirmed that King of Seas will release on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC on May 25th 2021.
We’ve been looking forward to seeing King of Seas sail the Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, Switch and PC oceans for some time now, so much so that we spent time with 3DClouds’ pirate-themed action RPG back in December. Now though, after previously missing a 2020 release, and then getting prepared for launch in February 2021, all hands come to the deck once more as the release window is pushed back once more. This time around though things are different – Team17 are onboard!
We’ve mentioned it numerous times over the years, but should you be an independent developer looking to deliver one of the best gaming experiences to gamers, having Team17 in place to help you sail safely through the rocky waters is always a good call. And that’s exactly what is happening now as 3DClouds and Team17 get set to climb the rig together, before looking to see King of Seas leave dock in May 2021.
That push back on the release window is sure to disappoint many, but as we know, if something ain’t right, don’t launch it – hi CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077. If the development teams behind this one need longer, so be it.
When May 2021 does roll into play though, expect to see King of Seas hitting Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, delivering a seafaring adventure ripe for exploration.
As you’d expect to hear, the publishing deal between 3D Clouds and Team17 will provide additional resources for the team to work on enhancing the gameplay quality as well as implement further languages into the game, including German, French, Spanish, and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, ensuring the final game delivers the best gaming experience for the players.
“We’re really pleased to be able to come on board with 3D Clouds and help launch King of Seas,” said Chris Coates, Head of Studio’s, Team17. “The game is already hotly anticipated, and we’re really eager to help enhance it for PC and consoles ready for launch later this spring.”
“3D Clouds have created a very exciting game in King of Seas,” said Chris Coates, Head of Studios at Team17. “We are delighted to open up our studio resources here at Team17 to help further enhance what is already a hotly anticipated game and look forward to launching on PC & Consoles later this spring.”
“We are extremely happy and proud about this collaboration with Team17,” said Francesco Bruschi, CEO, 3DClouds. “It’s a fantastic opportunity for 3DClouds and, especially, for King of Seas, which will reach new levels of quality and an even wider audience. We look to the future with renewed optimism, confident that we can continue to work with Team17 for a long period of time.”
But what is King of Seas? Well, it’s an action role-player, one that is set in a procedurally generated pirate world, as you get the chance to do what pirates do best – fight battles, land on islands and hunt plenty of treasures.
Main features will include:
- Story: A series of quests guide you on your journey and uncover the intriguing characters of the King of Seas world who will lead you to the next path of your epic adventure.
- Procedural Generation: Dive into a lush, procedurally generated world that constantly refreshes the exploration mechanics within each new game.
- Dynamic World: The world reacts to your every action, naval routes change and with each conquered settlement the difficulty adapts to constantly give you a more challenging time.
- Map: A thick fog will ensure travelling towards objectives is not plain sailing, after all wouldn’t you want to lose the joy of exploration !?
- Navigation system: Atmospheric effects influence gameplay. Sail during a storm at your own risk, escape the enemies and always remember to carefully watch the wind direction to stay in control during battles. The strategy starts here.
- Ship customization: Five types of highly customizable ships through an equipment and skill system, just as in any true role-playing game!
- Combat system: Not only cannon shots and nautical strategy but also speed and spectacle, thanks to a set of more than 20 skills to choose from and three branches of talents to suit any playstyle.
If you are looking forward to the launch of King of Seas, you’ll be able to get your preorders in early very soon – the options available to you will come about through PC via Steam and the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. Those looking to visit the Nintendo eShop and PlayStation Store should be able to do so in the days ahead. Expect to pay £24.99 / €24.99 / $24.99 / $39.99AUS.
As always, let us know your thoughts surrounding the latest King of Seas news by posting in the comments.