Timing (as they say) is everything and that is certainly true here. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships has arrived smack bang in the middle of Wimbledon, offering up a cross platform tennis simulator to satisfy those summer sports urges.
The release date for the Nintendo Switch version of the game has now also been confirmed, launching on 20th October 2022.
That’s right, friends playing on different consoles can slug it out for supremacy in epic rallies or tennis fans can challenge competitors from across the world. The game also boasts an authentic career mode which allows players to lob, smash and volley their way to becoming World #1.
Whether it’s choosing a coach or figuring out the most effective style of play, Matchpoint – Tennis Championships offers lifelike tennis tactics which will test the skills and decision making of players. You can even hire an in-game coach to help you hone your skills through a series of training modules. Or, you can use the practice and mini-games to sharpen your game instead.
There are also plenty of customisation options for your athlete and their gear. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships sports all the major tennis brands, along with more items to unlock as you rack up the wins at the busy schedule of exhibitions played across different court surfaces.
Key features include:
- • Enter the world of professional Tennis: “Matchpoint – Tennis Championships” offers a deep career mode featuring a unique merit-based ranking system.
- • Create your own 3D tennis star. Choose your look, fashion and play style with an array of customization options including true to life techniques such as left-or right-handed, onehanded or twohanded backhand.
- • Dominate the court as a tennis professional. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships features 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori, and Amanda Anisimova.
- • Fully customize your athlete and wearables. From rackets to clothing, the game features gear from all of tennis’ name-brands including Babolat, YONEX, HEAD, and many more. Unlock special equipment by winning competitive matches.
- • Master all strokes and shots in grand style. Determine the outcome of a rally by choosing the best technique for the time: top spin, flat, lob or slice shot.
- • Take on opponents in local or online matches. Play against a cunning AI or face your friends and rivals on the court via local sessions and online cross-play.
- • Study your rival’s moves and tactics. Watch your opponents and get to know their strengths and weaknesses to gain a tactical advantage before you even hit the court.
- • Practice makes perfect: hire a personal coach to hone your skills. Buff your strengths and diminish your weaknesses with an in-game coaching system of individual training modules.
- • Fine-tune your tactics in Practice and Mini-Game modes: Jump into a variety of mini-games to hone your perfect game and become a force to be reckoned with on the court.
- • Compete in exhibition matches at spectacular venues around the globe. Each court has its own characteristics; study your arenas of play and adapt your game to grass, clay and hard courts.
- • Replay mode. Breakpoint or deciding match point, capture your fiercest rallies on film and study the outcomes to improve your game.
For more details on the many features in Matchpoint – Tennis Championships, check out the latest Developer Diary:
Matchpoint – Tennis Championships is available now from the Xbox Store for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Game Pass for Xbox and PC. It’s also on PlayStation 4, Playstation 5 and PC. The base game is priced at £44.99, whereas the Legends Edition costs £44.99.
Be sure not to let our full review pass you by – it will be spinning past soon.
The season starts now – grab your racket and become the world’s next tennis champion! Your opponent is on the court and the crowd waits for a promising challenger for the grand finale… Are you ready for Matchpoint? Matchpoint – Tennis Championships is a modern take on tennis, featuring a true-to-life on-court experience supported by a deep career mode and unique rivalry system. The game places a strong focus on tactical realism, positioning and aiming, allowing the player to move their superstar in exactly the right way to get the most out of their shots. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships combines slick character animations, authentic ball physics and enhanced player control to replicate the realistic rhythm of the game – every swing and hit feeling unique and satisfying.