It’s not a nailed-on certainty, but the vast majority of the time, what Team17 touch turns to gold. We’ve had some real classics in recent years too – the stunning Yoku’s Island Express, the super-silly Overcooked! and the madcap Moving Out just for starters. Come December though that Team17 magic looks set to be sprinkled onto Monster Sanctuary, as it rips away from Early Access to launch on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Currently rolling around in Steam Early Access – and if you wish to check that out, feel free to do so as we’re sure the sheer number of Very Positive reviews mean something – Monster Sanctuary will be breaking free from those shackles to hit Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC come December 8th 2020. And if you decide to jump in to check it out, will find a game that will see you going about uncovering the encroaching mystery threatening humanity and monsters in the hope that you can become a true Monster Keeper.
You see, when Monster Sanctuary escapes into the wild, Team 17 and those at Moi Rai Games will allow us the chance to take on the role of the youngest heir of an ancient bloodline of Monster Keepers, setting out to follow in our ancestors’ footsteps, all the while unpicking a mystery that threatens the long-standing peace between humans and monsters.
Having sat in Steam Early Access for the best part of a year, Monster Sanctuary has been expanded uponwith a series of significant updates that broaden its fantastical world, such as the introduction of player vs player gameplay, and new areas to explore: the volcanic Magma Chamber, the claustrophobic Underworld, and the mechanical Mystical Workshop, just for starters. Each of these has seen the variety of monsters available to track down and tame increase too, all while adding in new gameplay opportunities to explore.
December 8th 2020 ad the full launch of Monster Sanctuary will further introduce more content, including the Abandoned Tower as an entirely new game area, as well as an additional secret area. No less than 14 new monsters will also be joining the roster, alongside optional endgame Champions; Ultimate abilities for monsters above level 40; unique equipment; and further balancing changes.
The key features of Monster Sanctuary on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC will include:
- Overcome and collect beasts: Creatures great and small are available to collect and battle, and can be upgraded via deep skill trees
- Become the best Monster Keeper: A mysterious force threatens the peace between monsters and humans, and players will unravel these secrets through the story
- Battle in tactical 3v3 combat: Player rosters of monsters can fight AI or other players in a turn-based 3v3 system, using elemental attacks and combos to devastating effect
- Discover a deep Metroidvania world: From the depths of the Underworld to the heights of the Snowy Peaks, there is plenty to explore, and hidden areas to uncover using monster skills
- Items and gear aplenty: Players will find a plethora of useful items on their journey, which may even open new avenues of navigation.
Denis Sinner, Managing Director, Moi Rai Games, said: “The full release of the game will bring an exciting five-year journey to an end. Monster Sanctuary originally started out as a hobby project of mine while having a normal day job, and back then I couldn’t imagine that it would be released as a full-fledged game on multiple platforms with a publisher on my side. Ever since we launched the game into Early Access last year, the community feedback we’ve received has helped to improve the game and make it the best possible experience.”
For now, sit back, hold tight and await that December 8th 2020 launch of Monster Sanctuary on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC. We’ll be sure to remind you when it hits – expect to pay in the region of £15.99/€19.99/$19.99 for a download.