In a word: grim. Moonscars (pronounced moon-scars, not moons-cars, which would be a much more friendly game!) takes all the grey, black and blood of the gothic genre and beautifully crafts it into what is a terrifying but entrancing 2D platform-slasher. Whilst describing it as a 2D Dark Souls might suffice, there’s much more beneath the surface of Black Mermaid’s latest title.
Releasing today onto Xbox, Game Pass, PlayStation, Switch and PC platforms, Moonscars births you as Grey Irma, a clayborne warrior with a penchant for slicing things up, all in the aim of finding her Sculptor and understanding how she came to existence. Your role, dear player, is to navigate this dark and dingy landscape, slashing and parrying with your sword as you make your way through an array of enemies.
Death is but a learning opportunity, however, as there’s no chance you are making it through this black and white nightmare the first time round. By learning attack patterns of each foe, wielding special weapons, and making use of magical spells, can you start to progress through each part of the game. Moonscars certainly isn’t for the impatient: like any good Souls-like you’ll have it handed to you well before you can start dishing it back.
A more extensive list of features for Moonscars players includes:
- Death shapes you – Before you rise, you first must fall. Mold yourself into a master warrior through a cycle of trial and triumph.
- A grimly gorgeous world – Explore the shadows and secrets concealed in the moonlight of a painterly nonlinear 2D realm marred by desperation and despair.
- Test your resolve – Sharpen your skills and reflexes in challenging, action-packed combat. Slash and parry with your sword, wield unique special weapons, and command powerful Witchery.
- The Moon hungers – Unearth a strange, dark fantasy tale filled with twists and intricate worldbuilding. Seek the truth of your creation and be rewarded.
- Clay, bone, and ichor – Bear witness to tales and memories of betrayal, suffering, and revenge as Grey Irma and her fellow beings of flesh and clay seek truth and purpose.
Moonscars is available today on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One – find it over on the Xbox Store for £16.74 if you don’t make the most of Game Pass. Alternatively, the game is also releasing today on PS5, PS4, Switch and PC.
Under grim moonlight, the fierce clayborne warrior Grey Irma battles, driven by a lonesome purpose: Find the Sculptor, and unravel the mystery of her existence. Push the limits of your combat skills, and master new abilities to progress through an unforgiving nonlinear 2D world. Face off against the relentless darkness that seeks to destroy you. In Moonscars, every death is a lesson learnt—and as you overcome each challenge, new truths will be revealed.