After a wait of 25 years, when Streets of Rage 4 hit Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC in 2020, fans around the globe flocked. For good reason too as it was an utter triumph. Now though, a year or so on from that launch Streets of Rage 4 is expanding – with both a free update and the arrival of Mr. X Nightmare to the scene.
Available to purchase, download and add into Streets of Rage 4 right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC through Steam, GOG and the Windows Store, Mr. X Nightmare DLC will see players given the opportunity to play through events with 3 new characters, to take in a new Survival mode, to get involved in some serious character customisation and to enjoy some spanking new weapons and enemies.
It’s priced at £5.79 from the Xbox Store (and similarly on other stores) and will have Axel, Blaze and their mates taking part in a new training regime; one that has been created by Dr Zan in the form of an AI program developed from the leftovers of Mister X’s brain.
The characters themselves come in the form of officer Estel Aguirre, alongside those of Max Thunder and Shiva from games of the past. With a new Survival Mode providing immense opportunity for challenge, additional moves that can be unlocked once success is found, and badass weaponry, there should be much to love here.
But that’s not all and additional tracks have been added to the soundtrack, whilst leaderboards are in place for full bragging right shouts. Oh, and the separate free update away from the Mr. X Nightmare pack adds in a deeper training system, further colour options, a New Mania+ difficulty plus a host of other improvements and amendments.
In all, expect to find all of the following rolling out to Streets of Rage 4 right now…
- Playable new fighters: introducing the playable debut of powerful officer Estel Aguirre, alongside with the awaited return of fully realized playable versions of Max Thunder and Shiva, both beloved characters of Streets of Rage 2 & Streets of Rage 3.
- Survival Mode: an inventive, immensely replayable challenge where fighters beat down endless waves of foes and earn perks for as long as they can stay alive. Random keeps each fight unpredictable through generated runs and Weekly is a series of static gauntlets generated each week that keeps players on their toes as they brawl their way through the streets of rage and fight for the top spot. Each completed level offers a choice of randomised stackable perks to choose from.
- New moves: Braving Survival’s onslaughts also permanently unlocks new moves for use across any of Streets of Rage 4’s modes, allowing players to personalize movelists for their favourite characters. Even Retro characters now have new moves.
- New badass weaponry: Progress unlocks devastating new weapons within the incoming training mode, as well as gallery content.
- Leaderboards show who’s the boss: The mode’s leaderboards keep track of the community’s well-fought runs too; who will be Wood Oak City’s finest fighter?
- New Tunes: Keep groovin’ with original music from Tee Lopes (Sonic Mania, League of Legends).
- And wait, there’s even moaaar: Separate free update adding an in-depth training system, colour palette options, a fiendish New Mania+ difficulty, plus a wealth of refinements and balancing changes addressing feedback from Streets of Rage 4’s passionate community.
If you haven’t yet picked up the game, you’ll find Streets of Rage 4 present on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC. The Xbox base game can be grabbed from here.
Let us know if the addition of Mr. X Nightmare and the free update is to your liking.
The fight continues in Wood Oak City. After the events of Streets of Rage 4, our heroes wanted to prepare themselves for future threats. Axel, Blaze and their mates will start a very special deranged training with the help of Dr. Zan, who built an AI program from the remnants of Mister X’s brain that simulates every kind of danger they could be facing.