Who would win in a fight between Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony, and Scorpion from Mortal Kombat? Well, we don’t know, and we’re not sure if we’ll ever find out – but Them’s Fightin’ Herds is definitely the next best thing.
Following a successful PC release back in April 2020, this simply 2D fighting game is releasing today on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4 and Switch. Them’s Fightin’ Herds takes the cartoon masterpieces of Lauren Faust, the creator of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and throws them straight into a battle to the death, set across mountain landscapes, picturesque villages and the like. This is a fighter with less blood and guts and more frost and magic, given the PEGI 7 rating that the game is currently sporting.
Although that’s not to say that Them’s Fightin’ Herds is an easy game: whilst it may have just four buttons to get the hang of, each cute horsie has a number of abilities to make use of, ensuring that only the strongest of fighting masters can duke it out with the best of them.
You may wish to start things off easy with the Story Mode, that blends together fighting with adventure, then step things up a level with the Arcade and Local Versus modes, before taking it to the big leagues, proving your worth against those online.
A more complete list of features coming to Them’s Fightin’ Herds includes:
- ● Streamlined Combat – 4-button fighting mechanics, magic system, enhanced super attack, and juggle decay to prevent infinite combos.
- ● Story Mode – An episodic adventure filled with exploration, combat challenges, minigames, and boss fights!
- ● Local Versus and Online Matchmaking – Fight opponents offline or battle across the globe with GGPO’s powerful rollback netcode.
- ● Tutorial and Training Modes – Learn the ropes with combo trials and guided tutorials, practice combos in the data-rich training room, and view replays from your matches!
- ● Pixel Lobby – Unlock accessories, customize your avatar, and explore a top-down visual lobby with other players online.
If it’s intense online combat you’re after, you’ve got it. If you are all about collecting accessories and kitting out your pony, go for it. If you want a nice fighter to play with your children, Them’s Fightin’ Herds has you covered. However you wish to play the latest fighter on the market, make sure to pick up a copy on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, Switch or PC. For Xbox players, it’s the Xbox Store where you can download the game, for £16.74. Alternatively, the £33.49 Deluxe Edition includes the Season 1 Pass for the game, which adds in a number of accessories, and four additional playable characters.
The Season 1 Pass is available as an individual purchase too.
Them’s Fightin’ Herds is a 2D fighting game featuring a cast of adorable animals designed by acclaimed cartoon producer Lauren Faust. Beneath the cute and cuddly surface, a serious fighter awaits!