It’s been a while since we last heard anything in regards Surviving Mars with the Green Planet expansion having rolled out a couple of years back. Now though Paradox Interactive are back, having put the team at Abstraction in charge of moving the game forward at pace. That pace starts today with a new free Tourism update rolling out alongside a premium DLC pack and news of how things will develop further.
Having just surpassed the 5 million players mark, it’s safe to say that Surviving Mars has been a bit of a hit. After first launching on Xbox back in 2018, and then being expanded with the Space Race and then the Green Planet DLC, there is a huge amount of content already found within. But it’s now getting bigger still with the new free Tourism update.
Rolling out to players today, the Surviving Mars Tourism update is free for all Surviving Mars space farers and revamps tourists, introduces a RC Safari, adds buildings, and more. With this update, anyone settled in with the base game can expect to see some of their most-requested tourism features, such as Holiday Experience rating rewards and consequences.
Tourism Update Key Features Include:
- Happy Holidays – Tourists will now rate their stay in your colony to determine their Holiday Experience Rating. That rating will determine what rewards, funds, and additional tourist applicants players will receive.
- Movin On Up – Hotels can be built after completing the Smart Homes research to increase tourist comfort and raise satisfaction. Players can also build a Low-G Amusement Park that adds a boost to each tourists’ Satisfaction stat.
- Rover Safaris – Set waypoints at places of interest and let tourists go sightseeing around your colony for increased satisfaction. Players can order an RC Safari from Earth, or build it on their own after completing the Rover Printing research project.
But that’s not all and additionally available is the In-Dome Buildings Pack. Developed in partnership with long-time community modder Silva, this continues Paradox’s commitment to supporting outstanding content creators, with it introducing 8 buildings and a host of technical additions to expand housing and community options. Available right now from a store of your choice – the Xbox Store for us on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S – the In-Dome Buildings Content Creator Pack includes all of the following for a measly £4.19…
- Habitats for Humanity – Smart Apartments (Habitats, Large); Seniors Residence (Habitats, Medium); Large Nursery (Habitats, Large)
- Dome Sweet Dome – Medical Post (Dome Services, Small); Security Post (Dome Services, Small); Hospital (Dome Services, Large); TV Studio Workshop (Dome Services, Large); School Spire (Dome Spires, Spire)
“Since the launch of Surviving Mars: Green Planet, our players have been asking what’s next for Surviving Mars. The Tourism Update is just the beginning. The game is in good hands with Abstraction, they’re a team of veteran developers with years of experience making AAA titles and are passionate about Surviving Mars,” Magnus Lysell, Product Manager for Surviving Mars at Paradox Interactive said. “We’re humbled by the overwhelming support for Surviving Mars. 5 million players is huge and we can’t wait to share what’s next with all of you soon!”
Paradox and Abstraction have also revealed that a fully-featured Surviving Mars expansion is in the works and will launch sometime later in 2021. As soon as we know more about that, we’ll bring you it.