Due to release on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and PC at some point in 2022, Dark Envoy looks to deliver the non-linear sci-fantasy RPG hit that you have been waiting for. Today the Polish development studio at Event Horizon have shared a brand new trailer – one that gives us a tease of the gameplay and a closer look at the characters involved.
Building upon the successful experiment of Tower of Time, Event Horizon will look to continue challenging the RPG tropes in search of a new modern identity for the genre with Dark Envoy in 2022. And way ahead of that release window, the latest trailer for their upcoming RPG is able to give curious players a closer look at the game’s sibling leads: Malakai and Kaela.
The journey begins with tragedy and they have many tough decisions ahead of them — some that will change the course of Dark Envoy’s rich, fantasy world of Jäan. Playing out as a non-linear sci-fantasy RPG set in a world shaken by the dichotomy between magic and technology, you’ll be able to enjoy Dark Envoy either alone, or with a friend in two-player co-op.
Whatever your decision, you will be able to travel the world using a Skyship as your base of operations. This world – Jäan – shifts with the passage of in-game time, so the decisions of where to go will often be as impactful as what you do when you arrive, taking on quests or world events and tipping the balance throughout this blossoming conflict.
Once you touch down, Dark Envoy will deliver real-time combat with the ability to slow time or pause as you make important tactical choices – it is here where every moment can make the difference between triumph or failure. With a rich collection of companions — from assassins to engineers — and robust RPG systems, players will mold the crew and its two lead characters into something that fits their preferred playstyle.
The key features of Dark Envoy will include:
- Full Single/Co-op Campaign — Play Dark Envoy fully solo or with a friend
- Story Quests, Side-Quests, and Optional Shape-Shifting Dungeons — In addition to the bespoke main and side-quests, there are dungeons where the layouts and enemy patrol routes shift each time you enter
- Crew Your Airship With Companions — Recruit characters such as a Moon-Elf assassin, quirky engineer, ex-Imperial soldier, renowned Elven mercenary, and more
- Real-Time Combat — Tactics and your chosen companions are equally important in a combat system you can slow down and pause
- 4 Base Classes and 16 Specializations — Discover rare, hidden classes which can only be found in remote locations or through special quests
- Authentic RPG Systems — Experiment and adapt to your playstyle: Mix skill trees, boost individual abilities, and take advantage of an expansive crafting system featuring research and enchantment
- The World of Jäan — Rich, complex lore and narrative with mature writing that shapes the sci-fantasy world of Jäan, which features 15 different biomes that introduce a variety of gameplay mechanics
- Non-Linear RPG Narrative — Player choices impact the world: it can be destroyed or saved, and the stories that unfold will lead to multiple endings reflecting the characters’ personalities and decisions
- High-Production Values — Motion-captured animation, beautiful, scenic locations, and gorgeous combat effects all in 4k
Tempted? You can wishlist Dark Envoy on Steam right now. Alternatively, kick back with the trailer and then hold tight – we’ll be sure to follow up with this and keep you fully updated with any further Dark Envoy news as it comes in.