Tandem: A Tale of Shadows has been created by the Monochrome team, with the publishing rights handled by that of Hatinh Interactive. It’ll be coming to console and PC later this year, but for now the latest story trailer that has been unveiled needs a serious look – if only as the whole thing is visually stunning.
Due to launch on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC later in 2021, Tandem: A Tale of Shadows follows Emma, a headstrong young girl, and her teddy – Fenton (nope, not THAT Fenton) as they look for clues in the world around them, hoping to uncover the mystery of Thomas Kane’s disappearance.
You see, when Thomas Kane, the only son of a famous family of illusionists, inexplicably vanishes, 10-year-old Emma decides to investigate. Sent on her way to the Kanes’ manor, Emma witnesses Fenton innocently bounce from a speeding carriage and from here the girl and the teddy bear chase after the wagon and enter the manor’s grounds. What plays out after that is nothing but a captivating story of illusory dangers and shifting perspectives begins.
Sold as a Victorian era investigation that has been inspired by Jules Vernes, Conan Doyle and Tim Burton, each dimension in Tandem feels like a German expressionist or Dutch golden age art piece brought to life.
This should mean that fans of puzzle platformers or lovers of the action adventure (yep, you and me and near on everyone else) will get the chance to peel back the curtain that is covering no less than five beautiful Victorian worlds.
It gets better though and as progress is made you will find yourself alternating between Emma’s top-down view and Fenton’s horizontal side-scroller view, using the former’s lantern to cast shadows the teddy bear can cross. Intelligent obstacles and clever gameplay mechanics will force players to constantly remain on their toes.
Key features of Tandem: A Tale of Shadows on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC include:
- Stunning Art Direction – Discover a playful and frightening universe inspired by Jules Vernes, Conan Doyle, Tim Burton and Victorian era architecture.
- Clever Puzzles – Solve over forty puzzles and obstacles in order to unravel the mystery surrounding Thomas Kane’s disappearance.
- Dual Gameplay – Swap perspectives between Emma and Fenton. Light up the scene and cast shadows as Emma from a top-down view. Walk on shadows projected by Emma’s lantern from Fenton’s side-scroller view.
- Fight With Strategy – Players will face mechanical toy-like enemies and bosses throughout each dimension. Since Emma’s strategy is not to attack, players must rely on their wit to move forward.
- Narrative-Driven Adventure – Players are invited to discover many fun, creative and very elaborate cutscenes. Clever players will find the hidden rooms which will reveal the clues that will teach them more about the disappearance of Thomas Kane.
- Diverse Mechanics – Push or pull objects to create shadows. Use alarms and traps to your advantage. Tandem features a variety of interactive elements for players to experiment with.
We urge you to take in what the trailer below has to hold, and then come back here to let us know your thoughts by dropping into the comments. As soon as further details or release date for Tandem: A Tale of Shadows on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch or PC via Steam is known, we’ll be sure to bring you it.