See the word ‘Micro’ attached to a top-down racer and you’ll instantly be reminded of the glory days of Micro Machines. It’s that which Micro Pico Racers will be trying to harness.
Micro Pico Racers comes to Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S after a recent drop onto PlayStation, all in hope of allowing gamers the chance to relive some of the finest top-down racing memories. We can only hope that it’s more old-school Micro Machines than the newer World Series which failed to ignite enthusiasm back in 2017.
Priced at a mere £4.19, we guess we shouldn’t expect too much from what Micro Pico Racers is able to offer, but hopefully it’ll still be able to provide a decent little racing experience all the same. It’s certainly colourful enough and whilst screenshots and trailers point to a simplified racer, there are at least more than twenty vehicles to race with, sixty odd levels included in the Grand Prix mode and the promise of hours of fun.
There’s a split screen mode for those able to enjoy racing with a sofa-based friend, a variety of race modes – racing, destroy, drift and time attack – as well as a few different viewpoints to take in the action with. Basically put, this is old-school 16-bit top-down racing – and you should know by now whether that is something for you.
Key features in all include:
- – Great retro pixel art design.
- – Select from over 20 vehicles each with its own unique handling and performance.
- – Grand prix mode witth 60 levels provides hours of fun and challenging races.
- – Multiple views (top down, isometric, back view).
- – Detailed pixel art enviroments.
- – Different game mechanics (racing, destroy your rivals, drift challenge, time attack).
- – Great car drive physics.
- – Split screen 2 player mode.
- – Easy to learn, simple to play, but a real challenge to Master.
- – An awesome Soudtrack inspired by the glory days of top down racing games.
We’ll let you know how Micro Pico Racers plays out on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, reviewing the next-gen optimised Series X|S version in the coming days.
For now, grab a copy of the game for yourself by hitting up the Xbox Store.
Micro Pico Racers is a fun top-down arcade racing game with a retro style graphics where you control of little cars racing over exciting tracks. Start your engines and prepare for the craziest and most addictive racing game ever. Fast-paced racing game with a fresh interpretation of the 16-bit style. This is an arcade racing game based on games that I loved playing in the arcades growing up.