Up until just a few short weeks ago the whole Outbreak saga had begun to die down a little, but since that time we’ve seen The New Nightmare, Epidemic AND The Nightmare Chronicles all arrive on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S in Definitive Edition. The launch of Outbreak: Lost Hope Definitive Edition therefore fits in nicely.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, Outbreak: Lost Hope Definitive Edition is the latest in the ever increasingly long line of Outbreak titles to make a march on next-gen consoles. After having previously released on Xbox One back in 2019, we’re now seeing it rock up in Definitive Edition form, with it now coming with that all important Series X|S optimised badge attached.
Priced at £12.49, what exactly is different is up for debate – in fact, the Xbox Store page is pretty much just a carbon copy of what dropped back in 2019. Expect some visual flourishes though, some framerate pickups and the usual fun and games that we see with any game that sticks that X|S badge proudly front and centre. Honestly, if you haven’t yet picked up the game, are an Xbox One player and just want to see what it offers, we’d advice just going for the older version – if only as it’s cheaper.
If you haven’t played Outbreak: Lost Hope previously though, then what should you expect? Well, it’s one in a long line of Outbreak titles that pushes us through the other side of a nation-wide epidemic, one that thankfully hasn’t yet replicated itself in the real world – quite yet anyways. With monstrous hordes to fight, supplies to hunt down, puzzles to complete and nightmares to cope with, it’s all true survival horror at its best, working the classic gameplay route.
- True Survival Horror: Classic gameplay plays homage to the past.
- OTS: Claustrophobic over-the-shoulder gameplay enhances the fear.
- Story Mode: Experience Gwen’s nightmare as she searches for her daughter.
- Onslaught Mode: Bonus mode where you scrounge and survive against the undead.
- Fight or Flee: Engage threats directly or run for your life.
- Incapacitate: Knock down your foes and escape before they reanimate.
- Explore: Search areas and read logs to find keys and solve puzzles to survive.
- Progress: Saving is limited and restricted. Find floppy disks to record your progress. Storage: Manage your limited inventory by finding and storing items in caches.
- Backpack: Find rucksacks to increase the size of your inventory.
- Difficult: Play across multiple crippling difficulty modes.
- Defense: Utilize numerous firearms and melee weapons against the undead.
You’ll find Outbreak: Lost Hope Definitive Edition doing the rounds on the Xbox Store so if you wish to take home a copy of the game in the latest – and greatest? – form, go and fill your survival boots right now.
Experience a mother’s desperate search for her daughter in the midst of a nation-wide epidemic. Taking place in the Outbreak universe by Dead Drop Studios, this story follows Gwen just after her harrowing escape from an urban center during the outbreak. A terrible accident causes her to get separated from her daughter Hope and she has to fight the undead to survive… and save her daughter. Outbreak: Lost Hope is the next title in the Outbreak series. Built new from the ground up and featuring all-new over the shoulder survival horror gameplay. With greater control, comes greater threats as you fight through monstrous hordes, desperately search for supplies, solve puzzles and ultimately make your way through this nightmare. You, and your daughter, only have one life – can you survive the nightmare and save her?