It’s one of the most fun multiplayer titles of recent years, and today comes the news that Overcooked will soon be joined by a sequel – one which Team17 and Ghost Town Games hope will take the cooking scene by storm.
Get yourself prepared as a return to the Onion Kingdom will soon be on the cards as Overcooked 2 gets ready for an August 7th 2018 release on Xbox One, PS4, Switch and PC, bringing with it all new kitchens, recipes, chefs, and more.
Overcooked 2 will once again see the Onion Kingdom in peril again, but this time it is the fault of the Onion King himself! Reading aloud from the fabled Necronomnomicon, he has cooked up a real problem in the form of a doughy but dangerous army of undead bread…The Unbread! And that means the Onion King needs you, so get ready to chop, fry and bake your way through an all new series of crazy kitchens to defeat them and save the kingdom.
Now though you won’t be restricted to local co-op in order to find the real fun as Overcooked 2 brings chaotic co-op for 1-4 players in both local and online form, allowing you to serve up a variety of recipes including sushi, pasta, cakes, burgers and burritos to hungry customers in a series of unconventional kitchens. Expect to find yourself placed in a hot air balloon, a magical Wizard’s school or even another planet, working either alone or with up to three friends to prep orders while overcoming obstacles such as fire, collapsing floors, overbearing waiters and of course, the classic kitchen problem of floating work surfaces.
New to Overcooked 2 will be the following:
- Online multiplayer! For the first time you can cook up a storm with up to four players in both local and online multiplayer
- Throwing! Throwing is now an official game mechanic, allowing you to toss ingredients to your fellow chefs or even straight into the pan/blender/onto the floor
- New level mechanics! Overcooked 2 sees the introduction of new game mechanics including moving walkways, controllable platforms and even portals!
- Dynamic levels! Throwing you from the frying pan and into the fire, dynamic levels will change around you, offering a new challenge to overcome as the recipes and levels themselves change!
- Interactive world map! As you drive, sail and soar your way around the map in the Onion King’s amphibious air bus you will open up new areas using hidden buttons around the world
- Kitchens! From the neon lights of a sushi restaurant to the bubbling pots of a Wizard school kitchen, there are plenty of places to cook up a storm in Overcooked 2!
- Recipes! From spaghetti to sushi and pancakes to pizza, recipes both old and new will need to be cooked to perfection (or at least not burnt to a crisp!) New recipes mean new ingredients and new equipment so even the most well-seasoned Overcooked players will be challenged.
- Chefs! Overcooked 2 introduces a whole host of new of chefs to play in the kitchen including an eagle, mouse, beaver and what kitchen is complete without an octopus!
If you’re a fan of the original Overcooked (and you really should be – check out our review if you haven’t yet played it), then budding chefs can pre-order Overcooked 2 to receive the ‘Too Many Cooks’ DLC pack which includes five chefs: Alien, Walrus, Unicorn, Monkey and Calico Cat.
Overcooked 2 will release digitally on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC priced at £19.99/€24.99/$29.99 and is found to be available to pre-order on all platforms now. A boxed version will also be available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
And to celebrate the announcement, a range of Overcooked merchandise is now available from Fangamer including a t-shirt, tea towel and lapel pin with other items releasing soon! You can view the range here: https://www.fangamer.com/
Excited much? Let us know in the comments below but if Overcooked 2 is even half as good as the original then Team17 and Ghost Town Games will once again be on to a winner.