Overload is a new six-degree-of-freedom tunnel shooter which will soon be asking players one simple question – Which Way Is Up?
Confirmed for a May 31st PC release, with Xbox One and PS4 versions following later in 2018 (Q3 later in fact), Overload from Revival Productions will combine some of the most classic 6-DOF gameplay with the very latest tech to ensure that super intense 3D action will soon be yours.
You may well remember Descent, created by Parallax Software way back in 1995. You should, as it received critical acclaim for its 3D six-degree-of-freedom gameplay that delivered the best of space flight simulation with FPS experience. Overload will bring that same Descent-like style of play, but this time ensures that the labyrinthine environments will be updated with new and vibrant life, thanks to updated features, deeper gameplay, and dramatically enhanced graphics… as you can see in the release trailer below.
Revival Productions was founded by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas, co-founders of the legendary Parallax Software.
“We started Overload as a nostalgic homage to Descent, but it’s really grown into something more. We were able to create a deep story with voice, a new challenge mode and add VR support. And all this is on top of graphics and sound we could only dream about 20 years ago,” said Mike Kulas, co-creator, Revival Productions. Matt Toschlog added, “It’s been a blast creating this game, and we especially value the relationships we’ve formed with our Kickstarter backers and Early Access players.”
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, lockdowns, ambushes and secret rooms
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants and three bosses
- Multiplayer with public and private matches
- Challenge mode (with two variants) and 12 Challenge Mode levels Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (English Only)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad and/or joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
- Virtual reality support for Oculus and Vive
- Interface and Subtitle Available in: English, French, German, Spanish and Russian
- Post launch: Release of Level Editor and support for user-created levels and campaigns
If you’re a PC player, then you’ll obviously be able to get involved in Overload from the end of May. Thereis however also a “playable teaser” available for free right now, either on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/Overload_Playable_Teaser_20/) or by direct download from https://playoverload.com.
If you need to know more about Overload, then it promises to bring a taste of what it’s like to play in six-degrees-of-freedom.
Us console players need to hold on a little longer though. As soon as that Xbox One release date is known, we’ll be sure to bring you it.