There are all manner of games which have allowed us the chance to play as a little skelly – Skully, for one – but perhaps none of them have been quite as interesting as Skul: The Hero Slayer.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, Skul: The Hero Slayer finally breaks out of the Steam shackles to open up on console, bringing with it action platforming goodness, roguelike features and the chance to discover an all-new, rather boney, anti-hero.
Previously available on Steam, and launching on console with a new update for all formats, this introduces a new Hard Mode, additional enemies and more.
“Skul’s journey to the Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and PlayStation has been a long one – but we’re thrilled the little guy is finally making his debut during the spookiest time of the year,” said Sangwoo Park, CEO of SouthPAW. “We never imagined the success Skul would see on Steam in the past year, and we know the future is bright for everyone’s favorite boney little anti-hero on consoles.”
What exactly is Skul? Well, our full review of how this plays out on Xbox Series X|S is well underway and will be able to divulge exactly what you need to know, but basically this tasks you with taking charge of Skul, a little skeleton who is capable of utilising two skulls at once. This means that combos, playing styles, new ideas and tactics will continue to come to the fore as you play, and when you then include ever changing maps and roguelike features too, there’s a lot to get your skull around.
Key features include:
- The Demon King’s Castle in Ruins – The human race attacking the Demon King’s castle is nothing new and has happened countless times before. What makes this time different though, is that the Adventurers decided to join forces with the Imperial Army and the ‘Hero of Caerleon’ to lead a full onslaught in hopes of wiping out the Demons once and for all. They attacked the Demon stronghold with overwhelming numbers and succeeded in its total destruction. All of the demons in the castle were taken prisoner except for one lone skeleton named ‘Skul’.
- Side-Scrolling Platformer Action – ‘Skul: The Hero Slayer’ is an action-platformer that boasts rogue-like features such as everchanging and challenging maps. It will keep you on your toes, as you will never know what to expect.
- Tons of skulls, tons of playable characters – Skul is no ordinary skeleton. In addition to his formidable fighting skills, he can gain new and exciting abilities depending on which skull he’s wearing. Use up to 2 skulls at a time, each of which has its own unique attack range, speed and power. Choose combos that match your playing style and switch them in the heat of battle to bring your enemies to their knees. The power is in your hands!
- The Adventurers – Skul has crossed paths with a party of Adventurers! They are powerful foes that hunt Demons for sport. While Skul may be small, he still packs quite a punch. So just wait and see who really is the hunter and who is the hunted….
- Bosses Corrupted by Dark Quartz – At the end of every chapter, go head-to-head with massive bosses corrupted with Dark Quartz and powerful beyond belief. Derived from the pain and hate of life itself, Dark Quartz taints and takes control of everything it touches.
It’s an interesting premise and one that we’re fully onboard with. If you fancy giving it a go too then you’ll find the Xbox Store more than happy to give up the download you need. You’ll obviously need to pay for it, but Skul: The Hero Slayer won’t exactly break the bank, with just a £16.74 price attached.
Skul is a fast-paced action rogue-lite where losing your head is encouraged. Featuring 90 playable characters each with their own unique abilities and a ton of items that can create wild synergies, the battles are as electrifying as they are challenging.