Having picked up ‘Mostly Positive’ reviews in the 18 months or so it has been on Steam, Before We Leave now prepares to make waves on console, as it launches on Xbox and Game Pass, allowing a whole new group of players the chance to work the universe and rebuild civilisations.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and through Xbox Game Pass, Before We Leave has been created by the Balancing Monkey Games team, with the indie publishing gods of Team17 helping ensure it reaches the biggest available audience.
It’s a city-builder at heart and whilst we’ve had tons of those over the years – the likes of Cities Skylines being one of the most prominent – this one looks to be a little bit different, mixing in a little bit of Civilization VI as it goes. You see, settling in new lands is the main focus of the game, with these being present across multiple planets. Create a solar system of globes that are healthy and happy and you’ll be well on your way to the type of success required in Before We Leave.
Various biomes are in place whereever you pop up and by managing resources, reseraching new tech and building the finest settlements, your little Peeps will find the most exciting of homes. There’s a fair old bit going on in Before We Leave with the key features sitting as follows…
- Expand the Horizons: From a lowly settlement to a sprawling civilization of Peeps, players will need to traverse mountains, forests, oceans, and the depths of space to explore, build, and thrive
- Tremendous Tech: As players progress, they can research technology to better their civilization, including sailing, industry, trade, and more
- Keep the Peeps Happy: Running a settlement is no small feat; players will need to keep track of their Peeps’ happiness alongside food, resources and pollution levels
- A Whole New World: With six unique biomes filled with resources and mysterious relics, players must utilise the land and plan their settlements accordingly
- Award-winning Soundtrack: Benedict Nichols (Omno, The Falconeer) and James Dean of Ākau Audio compose a soundscape fit for any benevolent leader, winning ‘The Composed Segment’ Pav award for excellence in audio
With Game Pass goodies on offer for the millions of subscribers out there, there’s little reason why you shouldn’t at the very least check out Before We Leave on Xbox. And of course, if you like what you see, paying up the £15.99 Xbox Store asking price should certainly be a consideration.
If you do give it a go, let us know your thoughts in the comments. And if you don’t, hold tight for our full review. It’s a-coming…
Rediscover what was lost and nurture your reborn civilisation in Before We Leave, a city building game set in a cozy corner of the universe. Grow, gather and manage resources to help your settlements thrive, and share goods between the hexagonal lands and planets around you. Relax and expand the fabric of your growing societies and create a solar system of happy planets at your own pace. Not everything will go your way, though – use your wits and research solutions to overcome the challenges that your ancestors once faced.