Imagine if a modern roguelite merged with an old-school metroidvania style experience and spawned a hybrid of the two, well that’s Dead Cells in a nutshell. The good news is that you can get a better understanding of it next month as the release date has been officially announced.
Developed by Motion Twin, Dead Cells is set to launch on 7th August, 2018 and looks to bring the replayability of a roguelite as well as providing a sprawling, ever-changing castle to explore. There will be permadeath, but the frustration of starting again should be at a minimum, especially with the permanent upgrades you can acquire. At its core, the rogue elements ensure skill and progression go hand in hand, with seemingly unbeatable enemies becoming a push over. Prepare to explore the interconnected levels, upgrade your weapons, take on a host of formidable enemies, die, and repeat in order to master the game.
- 13 Levels – Each one with its own atmosphere, foes and secrets to discover.
- 4 Bosses – Made by the most sadistic of the devs, raised on the salt of the testers.
- 80 or so weapons and skills – Spears, swords, bows, freeze blast, etc.
- 4 special powers, unlocking new areas and paths (metroidvania gear lock items).
- 1 Daily Run Mode Complete with leaderboards for lording it over your mates (PC version only).
Dead Cells will release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac and Linux on August 7th, 2018. Anyone looking to purchase it would be advised to take advantage of the 20% discount currently in place for pre-orders.
Have you got the determination to stick with the toughness of Dead Cells long enough to become a master of the Roguevania experience? Let us know by leaving a comment below or messaging us on social media.