Remember Peggle? Brilliant wasn’t it? Well, The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild and WonderBelly obviously think so too as with the launch of Roundguard on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PS4, it is that hugely addictive Peggle action which they are combining with some fun roguelike dungeon crawling.
Available right now on Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch, Roundguard is a joyous little game that combines two hugely different genres to create one madcap experience, pushing out peg hitting elements with some good old dungeon crawling, all while mixing in roguelike elements for good measure.
Priced at £16.74, Roundguard sees you attempting to save the king of Castle Springbottom, taking to the action as one of three different heroes, each complete with their own unique skills and abilities. And in order to save that king those heroes will find themselves bouncing around multiple stages in a pinball/Peggle style, taking down enemies, picking up health and mana vials and collecting up all manner of weaponry, skills and special effects.
With humour running through Roundguard from the very start, taking in a run or two is certainly an enjoyable affair, particularly if you were one of the millions who enjoyed what Peggle delivered back in the day. But whether the overall experience manages to blend well with the roguelike side of things is up for debate – thankfully our full written review of Roundguard on Xbox One is fast approaching and will be able to keep you in the loop.
- Bouncy Fun: Intuitive pinball-physics-based gameplay like no other dungeon crawler.
- Multiple Classes: Play as the Warrior, the Rogue, or the Wizard, each with their own unique skills, items, and cheeky sense of humour.
- Randomised Dungeon: Each time you play, levels are procedurally generated, and quest events and elite monsters are randomly placed.
- Permadeath with Benefits: When you die, you’ll have a chance to bring a special trinket with you on your next run. The more gold you grab, the more powerful the trinket!
- A Cast of Oddballs: Chat with the castle’s colourful cast to pick up quests. You’ll meet a goblin poet, a smarmy teenage skeleton, a dark elf master chef, and tons more!
- Lots of Loot: Over 100 items and trinkets, each with effects that present strategic choices and combo possibilities.
- Show Off Your Skills: Compete on the leaderboards and try to master all the challenging, rule-bending relics.
Reckon you have what it takes to save Castle Springbottom? Get over to the Xbox Store, the PlayStation Store or the Nintendo eShop and grab a download of Roundguard right now. Let us know what you think about it too. We’d love to hear from you.
Castle Springbottom is under attack! It’s up to the Roundguard to save the king and — more importantly — recover his gold! Fling your hero into the face of danger and bounce off hordes of dangerously cute monsters to reach the bottom of the dungeon. With only one life, you’ll need to learn how to navigate hazards, make strategic choices, and master your hero’s skills if you hope to defeat the final boss. But don’t worry, the Roundguard always bounces back!