Coming from Night Dive Studios, Shadow Man Remastered has done the rounds on PC for some time, with the Steam reviews that it’s received over the course of the last year or so sitting pretty on the Overwhelmingly Positive front. Now that same game hits Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 and PS5, giving console players the chance to stalk all evil.
Priced at £16.74 from the Xbox Store and a little less (£14.99) from that of the PlayStation Store, Shadow Man Remastered will have you living out the nightmare of the Shadow Man, taking in more than 40 cutscenes and hours of in-game speech, as the Remastered version delivers a complete and utter overhaul of the classic that many have grown to love.
It focuses on the titular Shadow Man and takes you across all manner of worlds, from the despairs of Louisiana, across the swamplands and into New York, Texas and more. Armed to the teeth and ready to take down anyone who may get in your way, it’s the uncovering of secrets and mysteries that will come to the fore throughout your time with Shadow Man Remastered.
But if we’re honest, it’s the inclusion of many new features and ideas that makes this remastering of Shadow Man of most interest. In fact, there’s a ton of new additions delivered with this version, from improvements to the art and gameplay, to new audio, levels, weapons, enemies and more. In all, expect to find the following in place…
- 3 New Levels: “Summer Camp, Florida” (Day and Night) “Salvage Yard, Mojave Desert” (Day and Night) “Asylum Station 2 – Experimentation Rooms”
- New Audio (from the original games composer, Tim Haywood): Remastered music and SFX New music and SFX for the restored levels Restored cut/unused voice dialog in levels
- Art Updates: HD Textures for all levels and objects Nvidia Intro Cutscene Textures HD HUD and inventory icons plus a new icon for the Shadow Gun Restored unused animations Restored several cut and censored models from the original levels N64 Gad Icons
- Gameplay Improvements: New weapon wheel to select weapons faster as time is slowed down Improved controls Improved destructible objects using Bullet Physics Auto targeting Tweaked/improved AI Levels rearranged as originally intended A ton of fixes across the entire game to each level from object to geometry fixes Fixes to the localization for English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian Over 30 achievements
- New Weapons: A second Violator (Consistent with the N64 version) Sawed-off Shotgun (replaces the second regular shotgun) New model and many sound variations for the Shadow Gun
- New Enemies: Yort Yort Floater The Seraph Queen Seraph Dead Worm Unused zombie restored in Station 2 One arm Tenement Zombie.
- Rendering Improvements: Dynamic Per Pixel Lighting Clustered Forward Shadow Mapping Order-independent transparency
- New Post Processing Effects: Ambient Occlusion Antialiasing Anisotropic Filtering Motion Blur Film Grain Depth of Field
- Secrets: All the secrets from the N64/Dreamcast/PC included in this remaster Plus many more to be discovered!
Whether Shadow Man Remastered on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 and PS5 will float your boat may well depend on previous love for the source material, but should you be up for a download we’d highly advise you pop along and visit the store of your choice.
Let us know what you think of it once you’ve been hands on.
He is coming, stalking criminals in the spirit world and the real world. A possessed man is coming, a voodoo mask in his chest and lines of power in his back. Shadow Man is coming, trailing evil from Liveside to Deadside. To stop an apocalypse. To save your soul.