It is one of the most well-known adventure titles in gaming history, garnering a beloved following since release way back when. Now though Shadowgate is preparing to hit the modern day console scene.
Due to hit Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch in the Fall of 2018, Abstraction Games have been hard at work to ensure that the adventure game phenomenon that is Shadowgate will be ready to appeal to a new type of gamer.
Lovingly re-imagined, the fantasy game promises to deliver the same mind-bending thrills that Mac gamers first experienced when they were found venturing into the Living Castle more than 30 years ago. One of the original titles in the popular MacVenture series – going on to be celebrated on the NES, GBC, and Nintendo 64 – Shadowgate promises a fantastic atmospheric soundtrack, perilous locations to progress through, countless puzzles to solve, and more ways to gruesomely die than you ever thought possible. Thrust into the role of “The Seed of Prophecy,” players travel deep into the castle, in hopes of defeating the evil that dwells within – the dreaded Warlock Lord.
The version of Shadowgate that will be hitting Xbox One, PS4 and Switch builds upon the re-imagined PC version of the original Shadowgate, featuring a refined user interface and intuitive wheel-based icon command system. With the original developer Zojoi painstakingly redesigning the game from the ground up, adding in tons of new mind-bending puzzles, lots of new rooms with stunning hand-painted 2D graphical detail, and more objects to interact with, it promises to be a solid affair too, with Abstraction Games working alongside Zojoi to enhance the experience with new ideas and creative direction. The end product? Something that will feel just at home on console as it does on PC.
Key Features of Shadowgate include:
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system, and intuitive UI to complete your quest.
- Dangerous Dungeons: Tons of beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new gameplay experience.
- Mind-bending Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
- Difficulty Levels: Four different difficulty levels (from the novice to expert) that actually change the gameplay experience and puzzle structure. For the ultimate challenge, try Ironman mode that disables saves and requires players to finish the game in one try.
- Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Toggle on to listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chiptunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
- Storytelling: Shadowgate features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
- Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with gameplay by composer Rich Douglas.
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
- A variety of Achievements and Trophies to unlock
So then brave adventurer, the castle awaits, but are you ready? Let us know in the comments below.