We don’t just love the quirky name, but Rhythm Sprout: Sick Beats & Bad Sweets has some serious beats about it too. Which is a bit of luck really, because it’s all about keeping to the rhythm and dancing your way through the whimsical adventure that awaits.
Available today on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam, Epic) is Rhythm Sprout: Sick Beats & Bad Sweets from the tinyBuild publishers and SURT development team.
It sees us joining Sprout, the Chosen Onion as they head on out for an adventure into the unknown, working their way through a host of different lands in order to find Princess Cauliflower, restoring order and peace to the world. The thing is, foes will be in Sprout’s way.
From sickly sweet treats to ice cream cones, evil gingerbread people and more, the test found in Rhythm Sprout: Sick Beats & Bad Sweets promises to be real. You’ll need your wits about you in order to unlock new weapons, defeat bad bosses, take on bonus challenges and unlock a host of skins. But getting down with the beat should well help.
Rhythm Sprout: Sick Beats & Bad Sweets is a musical themed rhythm action game and the levels play on that (think of it like Hi-Fi RUSH, but different). Fruitopia, Daddy Club, Winter Woods, Haunted Mansion, and more, each with its own original soundtrack will be in place whilst you’ll also have the opportunity to remix things to your liking, changing game odes via Turbo, Mirror, Shuffle and Totally Random options.
“Rhythm Sprout takes players into a world bursting with imagination,” said Jon Vait, CEO at SURT. “From an original soundtrack featuring old favorites and the newest genres of today, hand-draw artistry, and a quirky story, we’re glad to offer players a wholesome experience and sweet twist to the rhythm genre.”
Thanks to the sheer amount of customisation allowed, the key game features are hefty…
- HANDCRAFTED LEVELS – Every music track goes together with a unique 3D environment designed around its theme and story. Keep an eye out for little events and easter eggs throughout the levels!
- ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK – All the music is created exclusively for the game with creative beatmaps in mind. It results in high sync between sound and gameplay – you will feel it! Music themes are inspired by different genres such as EDM, K-POP, Drum’n’Bass, Disco, Lo-fi hip-hop, even Metal, and much more.
- A WACKY STORY TO FOLLOW – Follow Sprout – the Chosen Onion – on his lightweight and self-aware adventure between music levels. Make funny dialogue interactions, full of silly jokes and pop culture references. Help the adorable inhabitants of the Vegetable Kingdom and face a charming cast of Sweet Villains.
- INFINITE REPLAYABILITY AND CHALLENGE – Mix different level modifiers to get unique results: – Speed up any song with the Turbo Mode – Refresh your muscle memory using the Mirror Mode – Shuffle the notes to get a unique beatmap – and share it with friends to challenge them! – Or wing it entirely with the always-changing Totally Random Mode On top of that, Rhythm Sprout features hardcore remixes, highscore challenges and gimmicky bonus levels for extra fun.
- CUSTOMIZATION – Did we mention the unlockable outfits for Sprout? As well as skins for your sword!
You’ll find Rhythm Sprout on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S – fully optimised for new-gen consoles. It’s also on PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC. Oh, and it just so happens to be featured in our ‘The Week Ahead’ video, taking a look at the games you should be playing this coming week.
Rhythm Sprout is a handcrafted rhythm action with original music and a wacky story mode. – Step to the rhythm / Fight to the beat – Remix levels with modifiers – Follow a quirky self-aware story in between