If you’ve played SNES classic Actraiser, you will know it’s possible, but it doesn’t stop it being a strange mix: Smelter is a mash-up of action-platforming, not too dissimilar from a Metroid or Castlevania, and a simple real-time strategy game. You know, like Starcraft. If you’re intrigued, Smelter is out now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC.
We’ve played this one ourselves, and can give it a double thumb-up recommendation. The action-platforming is up there with some of the genre’s best, with a reasonably high difficulty bar, some fantastic set pieces and three distinct skill trees offering completely different gameplay experiences. You can even follow a skill tree that turns Smelter into a straight-up shooter. Sounds good? Wait until you read our full review – it’ll be live later today.
Edit – That review of Smelter on Xbox One we promised is now live. Give it a read 🙂
The Doma Stones you collect from the action platforming will also unlock areas and abilities in the resource management, RTS bits. You’ve now got more to conquer and more landmarks to find. Settle houses in these areas, feed your troops and then put them to work in barracks or defensive towers, as there are waves of bad guys coming at you.
The loop is complete when you encounter temples in the map that give you boosts for the action-platforming, so both gameplay types complement each other well.
Even more importantly, Smelter is blessed with a killer soundtrack, some Saturday morning cartoon-style animations and cutscenes, and a fine sense of humour. It’s well worth a go, if only to see those two genres blending.
- Hybrid gameplay that combines fast-paced platforming with top-down strategy.
- Explore incredible, diverse worlds ranging from the hellish to the beautiful.
- Master three skill sets, complete with over 40 upgrades obtainable through multiple challenges, allowing for varied combat, movement and defense tactics.
- Fire up the “Smelt” ability, which can be used both in combat and on objects to navigate through difficult terrain.
- Open a can of whoop ass on challenging 2D action levels, enemies, and bosses with their own back stories!
- Expand your empire across a variety of regions, utilizing a variety of building types, upgrades, and units.
- Uncover a multitude of secrets, including powerful hidden upgrades and hard-as-nails trial levels.
- Indulge in hand-crafted, high-quality pixel art.
- Meet a cast of characters with personalities ranging from the eccentric to the completely insane.
Smelter is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and starts at £16.74 from the Xbox Store. It’s also out on PS4, PS5, Switch and PC.
You are Eve, fresh out of Eden and armed with a living suit of armor. Explore a dangerous new world, battle its bizarre denizens and expand your empire in a desperate journey to find Adam. Smelter is a strategy, action-platformer combo inspired by classics from the 16-bit era. Lead Smelter and his faithful Zirm forces by expanding Smelter’s territory across the Rumbly Lands in top-down strategy levels, then dive into thrilling side-scrolling action stages after annexing key locations. Build, attack and advance your army — unlock, upgrade and unleash elemental action skills against vicious enemies, perilous environments and dangerous bosses. Release the power of Smelter!