Are you ready for a modern twist on the usual deckbuilding genre? What if it chucks in some classic JRPG action for good measure? SOULVARS is coming – and it’s now got a PC and console release date.
Set to launch on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch and PC (you’re looking at Steam and Epic) come June 27th 2023, SOULVARS from the ginlabo and SHUEISHA GAMES teams promises much.
It’s been inspired by some of the classic JRPG titles that have released over the decades, but this one twists in some modern day ideas, combines it with pixel art visuals, and ensures that the action will be non-stop. Whether you are a veteran of the JRPG scene or coming in green to the genre, SOULVARS will have your back.
In SOULVARS, the emergence of grotesque Dominators has brought about the consequences of technology for humanity, and as a result, Elite units comprising Soulbearers – the next generation of humans born with alternate Souls – are deployed around the clock to intercept and counter these attacks. Players take on the role of a Yakumo, a freelance Soulbearer, as he handles assignments from private military contractor “DDO” (Dominator Disposal Organization).
- Classic JRPG nostalgia with a modern twist – Players immerse themselves in a game that blends the best of two worlds: stylish pixel art animations and dynamic, turn-based tactical planning.
- Deckbuilding combat system – Collect gear to expand your Soulbits – cards for your hand – and personalize your deck, then mix and match various Soulbits to uncover new attacks and unlock over 100 different Arts and Abilities. Hunt for rare and powerful gear by defeating unique Dominators on your journey to mastering the ultimate Arts!
- Party-based combat – Each enemy is a puzzle to solve, a challenge to overcome! Customize your party to deal with different enemy types, identify their weaknesses and combine Soulbit actions to unleash over 200 powerful finishing moves!
- Compelling narrative – Through Yakumo and his fellow Soulbears, uncover the dangers of unchecked technology, the origins of the “DDO” (Dominator Disposal Organization), and the conspiracies behind the emergence of the Dominators.
- Localized in 12 languages – Both interface and subtitles are available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Hindi so players worldwide can enjoy this action-packed adventure.
Having gathered up critical acclaim after a 2022 mobile drop, the solo dev of ginolabo has teamed up with SHUEISHA GAMES to ensure that the version hitting PC and console will not just be a straight up port. Fully optimised and enhanced for Xbox (Xbox Store link for you), PlayStation, Switch and PC, when SOULVARS releases, it should deliver a seamless, dynamic gameplay experience on the big screen.
June 27th isn’t that far away, and we’ll be sure to remind you when the game is available for play. If you can’t wait, you’ll find the game running a demo via the Steam Next Fest between June 19th-26th. There’s a nifty trailer to take in below too.