As a gamer you should be well versed in defending Earth from alien invasions, but that’s not stopping the teams at Assemble Entertainment and WhisperGames from giving you the chance to hone your strategy, your tactics and your skills with the launch of Squadron 51 on PC and console later in 2021.
Confirmed today for launch later this year on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, Squadron 51 will see you going all out to defend the planet from a hardcore alien invasion, working 2D-hybrid shooting mechanics in the process.
Whilst a full release date is still unknown, you’ll want to get preparing your plans for when Squadron 51 does drop, because when it does, all hell is likely to break loose. A dimension-bending shoot-‘em-up that features 2D action in a world of deep 3D environments, Squadron 51 has been inspired by 1950s sci-fi icons; classics such as War of the Worlds, Godzilla, and Dr. Strangelove. With development processes handled by those at Loomiarts, it is getting ready to launch its attack on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam later this year.
When it does you’ll find the chance to join the rebel cause as Lieutenant Kaya, all before facing unrelenting hostile alien aircraft, martian fighters, and monsters, delivered in the glorious black-and-white of the 1950s!
“We’re huge fans of classic sci-fi horror and we jumped at the opportunity to co-publish Squadron 51 with our partner WhisperGames,” said Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek. “Squadron 51 has found a loving home among Assemble Entertainment’s other award-winning titles known for their charming eccentricity. Fans of all genres will appreciate this delightfully original SHMUP.”
Key Features Include:
- SHMUP Yeah!: Enjoy classic shoot-’em-up gameplay with four unique aircraft that can be customized with special weapons
- Cinematic Experience: Marvelous black-and-white aesthetics, live-action FMV sequences, and dubbed voices will tell the story of the battle between Squadron 51 and Director Zarog’s alien fleet
- 11 Ways to Save the World: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in 11 different environments – snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and more
- Rookie Pilots Supported: Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran flying ace, Squadron 51 supports dynamic difficulty that allows every pilot to enjoy the alien extermination
- Ducks Fly Together!: Fighting an alien horde is more fun with a squadmate! A second player can enter a level at any time — earn points with a co-op player and unlock together new special weapons and upgrades
The latest trailer for Squadron 51 is right down below; give it a watch to discover how this unique SHMUP plays out. For even more information the Steam page will allow you to wishlist ahead of launch. Should you prefer the console angle, we’ll keep you covered, especially in regards that confirmed release date for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC. It may well be worth you checking out the Kickstarter for the game too.
Will you be joining the rebellion?