As an idea, it’s a remarkably simple one. It makes you wonder why it hasn’t been done before (at least, not in a game that’s got Steampunk Tower in the title): what if you made a tower defence game… in a tower? Steampunk Tower 2 is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
It’s not just a gimmick or joke. Watch the trailer: the idea of a central pillar that you control, and various enemies approaching you from either side is a good one. It ditches one of the tower defence genres biggest foibles, which is zooming over the battlefield in the hope that you’re fast enough to update a tower or patch up a defence.
Steampunk Tower 2 is, as you’ve probably guessed, a sequel to Steampunk Tower, and has garnered decent reviews on Switch and PC, but never quite made it to Xbox shores. That’s about to change.
You’ll take control of a secret base hidden in the mountains of Spain, drafted back into a steampunk world war by your mentor, Lord Bingham. You control a Battle Tower (great name), and it’s got spaces carved out for your choice of turrets. There seem to be plenty to pick from, and they each have their own special abilities and super shots. It wouldn’t be a tower defence if you couldn’t upgrade them too.
Your Battle Tower will be swarmed by all of your traditional steampunk enemy types: there are Jules Verne-style tripods, mecha-spiders that look like they’ve wandered in from Wild Wild West, and of course the zeppelin. These culminate in boss battles, so you’ll have to be prepped.
It’s the stuff around the periphery that looks the most exciting. You have a full European map to work through, like a steampunk Super Mario World. Plus you have a secret steampunk city, in which you can build research laboratories, improve your factories and much more besides. There’s a lot more depth to this tower defence than you’d expect from the genre.
- The sequel to the unique tower defense game – Steampunk Tower! More turrets, more enemies, aircraft Carrier, giant map of Europe… everything as in tower defense games.
- Dynamic battles! Each turret has its own specifics and its unique super shot.
- Test super weapons and special bonuses that will increase your chances of success in a battle.
- Humungous bosses! You can’t beat these steam monsters on the first try.
- Secret Steampunk city! Build scientific research laboratories, warehouses and factories for building new turrets and upgrade Tower.
- War for the territories! Control the factories to produce component parts for your turrets.
- Team of professionals! Send your agents on special missions to get extra resources.
- Many storyline missions throughout Europe! Find a way to defeat the enemy and get into the heart of enemy territory for the final stroke.
- Trains! Develop railway network for transportation of agents and resources.
Steampunk Tower 2 is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and has a full price of £8.39, but if you’re quick you may find it reduced to £6.71 as a launch reduction. It’s also out on Nintendo Switch and PC.
Steampunk Tower 2 is a unique tower defense game set in the alternative Steampunk universe. There is a dragged-out world war with the enemy never seen before. Lord Bingham is coming back to the world arena and he needs a skilled commander. There is a secret base hidden in the mountains of Spain, with ginormous aircraft Carrier transporting the Battle Tower under your authority and also a team of specialists who execute special assignments. Can’t Steampunk be without trains?!