If you can, cast your mind back to the late 1980s and early 1990s. It was a time when football fever was kicking in, Italia 90 was providing the World Cup wonders, football was on a high, and the Kick Off series was dominating the video gaming world. But come back to the present time and the same could be said – it’s just that we’re swapping out Kick Off for Super Arcade Football on Xbox.
We’ve watched the videos and gazed at the screenshots, and we cannot come to any other conclusion than to say that Super Arcade Football has been inspired by Kick Off and Kick Off 2. If we’re wrong, so be it, but the similarities are canny, and that makes us very excited for what the OutOfTheBit team behind it have been able to produce.
Priced at £8.39, things seem to fit with Super Arcade Football, especially if you’ve ever wanted to play Kick Off on your Xbox. There’s that old-school top-down viewpoint that we loved back in the day, combined by some simple but effective visuals and what looks like could well be tight footballing gameplay. Don’t get us wrong, you’re a world away from FIFA 23 and the likes, but this fills a gap that we’re looking for.
There’s a Story Mode to follow too, as well as league, knockout and tournaments to take part in. There are also both online and local multiplayer options included. Throw in game modifiers, like bigger goals, meteors dropping from the sky and so on, and if it’s fun and fortune you are after, Super Arcade Football could deliver.
In all, the key features include:
- STORY MODE – Follow Martin as he does everything he can to save his favourite club, Balarm F.C., from bankruptcy. You might encounter a few interesting characters along the way.
- MODIFIERS – Do you want the goals to be bigger, or the pitch to be covered in mud, or meteors to fall from the sky?! (Almost) anything is possible with the vast range of modifiers included in Super Arcade Football.
- ONLINE & LOCAL MULTIPLAYER – Play with up to 3 friends on your sofa at home or against a friend (or random opponent) over the internet.
- SOUNDTRACK BY BARRY LEITCH – Renowned composer Barry Leitch (Top Gear SNES, Horizon Chase Turbo, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2) has produced a unique soundtrack specifically for Super Arcade Football!
- PRESET & CUSTOM TOURNAMENTS – Play the league, knockout, or mixed format tournament of your dreams. TACTICS Manage your tactics to be more offensive or defensive depending on how the game’s going. You can also make substitutions if one of your players gets injured or isn’t performing well.
The Xbox Store will give up the download of Super Arcade Football that you are looking for on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. Grab it from there and stick around for a review of how it plays from us soon. So yes, you CAN play Kick Off on your Xbox. Kinda.
Super Arcade Football is a fast-paced football game where you don’t get to catch your breath. With simple controls that lets anyone pick up and play, online and local multiplayer, crazy modifiers – and more, every match is sure to grab your attention from kick-off right until the final whistle!