Ready to destroy all the micro-transactions? Fancy dipping your toe into an Orwellian society that sees all citizens becoming addicted to free games? Tempted by raccoons, llamas and pigs? SuperEpic is coming to Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Due to drop in December 2019, SuperEpic is planned to release on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, as Numskull Games and the indie development team at Undercoders team up to provide a new Metroidvania styled affair.
Focusing on non-linear, fast paced action adventure gameplay, SuperEpic will come with a humorous, satirical tone, as you go about helping a raccoon and a llama in their quest to save video games as we know them. And in order to do so, you must ram into the headquarters of Regnantcorp, a video game development company that controls an Orwellian society by addicting citizens to their free games, uncovering conspiracies as you explore the castle-like office that is full of enemies, challenges, secrets, and corporate pigs.
It must be said that SuperEpic promises to deliver something a bit unique to the gaming landscape and that is no more true than in the levelling and powering up process, featuring an in-game economy system and, quite obviously, no real micro-transactions.
If you’re interested in what SuperEpic will be bringing, then the key features include:
- Two game modes – play a classic single-player story mode with handcrafted levels, or a roguelike mode which procedurally generates the game map to make each run completely different
- Cross-media experience – hidden QR codes launch mini-games to play on your mobile when scanned, uncovering secrets in the main game
- 8 hours of gameplay – a first run on the story mode will take roughly 8 hours, but the procedural mode provides endless fun
- 16-bit era graphics – super fluid animations and spectacular bosses, all represented in gorgeous ‘Neo-Geo’-esque 16-bit pixel art
- Original storyline & soundtrack – a story featuring unique, strong characters with plenty of humour and personality, and a soundtrack from SonoTrigger (‘Rise & Shine’, ‘Blue & Bullets’, ‘Supermagical’)
- Completionists – tons of achievements & secrets to unlock for completionists
- Micro-transaction satire – satirises modern gaming practices, with a huge enterprise run by greedy business-pigs which has gradually replaced all the fun in video games with adaptative and addictive algorithms to control people’s minds
What do you think? Is SuperEpic on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC one you’ll be keeping an eye on? Let us know in the comments.