Whether you are a pro or a novice in recording gameplays, you know for sure that this would be impossible without quality game recording and editing software. You want your followers to watch only the best quality videos, don’t you? That’s why you need to use software offering various features to make your videos still better. Let’s have a look at a selection of the five most popular software for gameplay capturing.
The 5 Best Programs for Recording Your Gameplay Video
Egames have become a real sport bringing millions of dollars in revenue to PC game players. A growing number of people record their gameplays and post them on their YouTube channels, broadcast on Twitch, and participate in esports competitions. Digital games are much more cost-friendly than their physical versions. This is probably one of the reasons why they are so popular.
To show off your skills and proficiency in the game to the audience, you need to record a video that would reflect your personality and gamer level. You can do this only with the help of video recording software that meets certain requirements. What features to look for when choosing the best software for making videos?
- The user interface should be easy to use. This is crucial, especially for those who are new to game recording. Some programs take much time and effort to understand how to use them. So why should you waste precious hours on something that is not worth it? Just opt for the software that won’t break your brain.
- Output formats. The more output formats the program supports, the more users will be able to get access to your video and watch it in good quality.
- FPS speed support will be good for your video as it prevents lagging.
XBox Game Bar for Windows 10
If you are a Windows 10 PC user, you don‘t need to upload any software as you can use the pre-installed software for game recording called XBox Game Bar. It allows capturing videos and making screenshots in the gameplay regardless of whether you play online or in an app. It’s one of the best solutions for novices due to the simple layout of its interface and the possibility to start and stop recording or taking screenshots with keyboard shortcuts.
- It’s free to use and comes pre-installed on all Windows 10 PCs.
- Easy to use.
- The recording time is not limited.
- You can record the entire screen and take screenshots.
- No watermark.
- The number of video editing features is limited.
- No webcam recording available.
- Applicable on Windows 10 only.
OBS Studio tends to be one of the best and most popular video software for streaming and recording gameplay. This software is open-source and free to use. OBS Studio is compatible with MacOS, Windows, and Linux. This program allows users to create high-performance real-time videos for broadcasting on almost any online streaming platform. Its high versatility brought it up in the rating of the most often used game recording software.
- Allows capturing scenes made up of multiple sources, like your PC screen and webcam.
- Features intuitive audio mixer with VST plugin support.
- Modular Dock UI with the possibility of customizing the layout.
- The unlimited number of scenes.
- Supports several output formats, including FLV and MP4.
- Limited video editing features.
- The demand for CPUs is higher than in some other programs.
- The interface lacks user-friendliness.
Bandicam is a popular screen recording program for gamers that allows creating high-resolution videos 4K Ultra HD, perfect for 2D and 3D games. Besides the gameplay, you can record from external devices, like a web camera, Xbox, or your smartphone. The program features a video compression function so that you could record small size videos without compromising their quality.
- Allows overlaying webcam video on the video you are recording (perfect for PC game recording).
- Chroma Key feature for webcam recording available.
- Mouse click effect and animation.
- Scheduled recording feature.
- Allows recording system sounds and your voice simultaneously.
- Saving videos in MP4 and AVI output formats.
- Supports real-time drawing.
- Works on Windows only.
- Only 10 minutes of recording for free.
- Most features are accessible for paid users.
- Watermark on game videos recorded free.
Fraps, a versatile application for Windows, is one of the most popular and easy-to-use gameplay recording software. Its user-friendly interface won’t be a problem for first-time users. Fraps captures videos with custom frame rates ranging from 1 to 120 FPS. The maximum video resolution you can get with Fraps is 7680×4800. Besides capturing the gameplay, you can make screenshots, which would be saved and named automatically.
- It’s suitable for beginners due to its intuitive, user-friendly interface.
- Supports benchmarking features.
- Automated timestamping of screen captures.
- Customizable frame rates.
- Allows recording system sounds and audio from external inputs.
- Video editing tools are not available.
- The size of the videos is large.
- The limited number of features for free version users.
Gecata by Movavi
Gecata is one more program created for people who record their gameplay. It works with all the most popular PC games and can be downloaded to computers run by Windows. The program offers lots of features for ultimate quality gameplay recording. You can capture in-game sounds, your voice, and your dialogues with co-players to immerse your viewers in the atmosphere and mood of the game. Record your webcam video and overlay it on the gameplay screen recording to share your emotions from the game with people watching your live stream or recorded video.
Although this software doesn’t offer a variety of features to enhance video quality, you can still trim and cut the videos you capture.
- Game mode for auto-recording as soon as you launch the game.
- One-click screenshots capturing.
- Supports 4K screen resolution.
- Livestream while recording a video.
- Hardware acceleration feature for encoding the video up to 400% faster.
- Capturing audio from external sources.
- Two-way sound capture.
- Customizable overlay.
- Real-time metrics control.
- You can share your video on YouTube right from the program.
- The watermark is present in output videos if you use a free version.
- A limited number of features are available in the free version.
As you see, none of the software is perfect. Each of the programs has some pros and cons. You only need time to weigh them and choose the one that will meet your needs and expectations.