There’s a decent story kicking around in Sword of the Vagrant, and an appealing hand-drawn art style which brings it all together. When you throw in a good little combat system plus that of some fun levelling, you’ve got the core components of what makes a tasty little game. Good news then, because Sword of the Vagrant is now available on Xbox, Switch and PlayStation.
Coming from the Rainy Frog team, picking up what has been created by those at DICO and O.T.K. Games, Sword of the Vagrant throws Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch players into a new fantasy world – that of Mythrillia. It’s here where you get to play as Vivian the Vagrant, a sellsword who is looking to bring her family back together.
What this means is that you’ll be tasked with hacking, with slashing and with wandering your way through the lands of Mythrillia, hunting down secrets and uncovering mysteries. It just so happens that those secrets will be dark and the mysteries deep.
It all plays as a 2D action RPG and you probably know what that means – combos! Chaining attacks is a key element to how this plays, as it making the most of various attacks and skills. Levelling up Vivian with new gear and abilities is par for the course.
Sword of the Vagrant isn’t a small game either. Six levels play host to these lands, four difficulty levels like you ramp it up as you see fit and no less than seventy different foes and upwards of ten bosses will get in your way as you do so. For many though it’ll be the art style that is key to the success of the game – and that’s definitely something we picked up on in our full review of Sword of the Vagrant on Xbox.
Give that a read and then check out the key game features…
- * Hand-painted, traditionally animated characters.
- * Flawless, hardcore action combat.
- * Over 70 deadly and dangerous monsters and beasts.
- * 6 massive level sets, all beautifully hand painted.
- * Multiple weapons, armors, and accessories to loot, purchase, and discover.
- * A large-scaled skill set to enhance character builds for immersive and intense gameplay.
- * Craft and enchant your equipment to improve your combat performance.
- * Use various offensive skills to destroy your enemy. Evolve the skills with elemental enchantments.
- * Multiple endings to make your adventure even more unpredictable.
- * 10+ challenging Boss monster with intuitive AI and battle mechanics. Challenging even for the most advanced players.
- * Monsterpedia that allows you to collect data on the monsters as you defeat them.
- * Fast travel to previously visited areas to re-challenge or grind.
- * Exciting and emotionally driven musical score by Gabe Castro.
- * Rich and intriguing storyline development.
- * 4 difficulties ranging from casual play to hardcore fighting, each with the full gameplay experiences.
- * Artwork gallery of more than 100 pictures.
- * Option to select an alternative player costume.
You can grab Sword of the Vagrant from the Xbox Store, playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S right now. It’s also on Nintendo Switch, whilst PlayStation players can also get in on the action, although a PS5 version won’t be here until 2023. You should be paying £8.99.
Let us know if you decide to grab it.
Journey into a gorgeous hand-painted fantasy world known as Mythrilia and discover the truth about your bloodline and its darkest secret. Play as Vivian the Vagrant, a traveling sellsword, who follows her lost father’s research in an effort to reunite with her family. Hack and slash a path from a quiet coastal village through mysterious forests, haunted castles, and wrecked battlegrounds. When the endless barrage of enemies have been vanquished, what solace will be left for our hero? The Vagrant is a 2D action RPG. As Vivian, you will experience an exciting and challenging adventure focused on combat gameplay that utilizes combo chains, charge attacks, and special skills, all while improving your character’s build through new equipment and abilities. Play casually or become a master combatant.