Previously announced for launch on PC through both Steam and GOG, the Australian indie team at Critical Games have today confirmed that their upcoming turn-based, story-driven JRPG, 8-Bit Adventures 2 will also be coming to console.
Confirmed for a simultaneous launch on PC and now Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch, 8-Bit Adventures 2 is certainly one to keep an eye out for – and that’s not just because the ever prolific Ratalaika Games will be behind the console ports.
You see, 8-Bit Adventures 2 comes with a NES-inspired aesthetic about it, one that should well complement the SNES and PS1-era JRPG style well. It promises to deliver charm, heart, soul and a gaming experience that many will flock to when it drops onto Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC.
“After our game was showcased at gamescom 2020, we received a tremendous number of requests to bring 8-Bit Adventures 2 to consoles. It’s added a lot of extra work to a project that’s already been in development for over 5 years, but my goal is to make sure that everyone can enjoy this classic JRPG adventure – no matter where they prefer to play,” said lead developer Josh Hallaran. “While the game’s been entirely self-funded, it was fan support that has ultimately allowed us to take this project further than I ever imagined. I’m genuinely thrilled to be bringing 8-Bit Adventures 2 to every major console platform, and I sincerely hope that the Nintendo, PlayStation®, and Xbox communities will enjoy discovering the grand, character-driven story, dynamic turn-based battles, and ‘familiar yet fresh’ experience that awaits them in this epic new adventure.”
So what should you expect from this one? Well, an earnest, engaging storyline is at the fore of the action, but then we are also looking likely to be treated to some relatable, easy-to-love characters, strategic turn-based battles, deep party customisation, bizarre monsters, an unforgettable soundtrack and a large, fantastical world. It’s this will you’ll be able to traverse by Airship, meeting up and joining a host of folk with a ton of personality.
And yes, whilst 8-Bit Adventures 2 is a sequel, Critical Games are promising that anyone can jump into this brand new JRPG adventure. And if you don’t believe them, find out for yourself by taking in the the free demo which is kicking around on Steam.
In all, the key features of 8-Bit Adventures 2 will include:
- • Enjoy a feel-good adventure filled with love, laughs, and drama, which deals with the dark stuff but always wants to leave you feeling uplifted over its 25+ hour playtime.
- • Explore a turn-based JRPG battle system with depth and strategy, inspired by games like Final Fantasy X, Chrono Trigger, and Mother 3.
- • Meet a loveable cast of seven playable characters who form relationships, make mistakes, and struggle with their past, but still work to save the world and overcome their demons.
- • Experience constant variety – everything from exploring ancient ruins to solving a robot murder mystery – realised through charming pixel art which walks the line between authenticity and aesthetic.
- • Save the world from a vengeful Glitch! A mistreated child with terrifying powers threatens to reshape the world in his own chaotic image. A unique and persistent foe from beginning to end, the Glitch changes and develops over the course of the story like any other character, grappling with what he is…and what he could be.
For now it’ll be well worth taking in the trailer below. Let us know what you think of the news that 8-Bit Adventures 2 and whether or not you’ll be grabbing it on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch or PC. The comments are below.