Having first gathered up critical acclaim on VR, The Persistence soon moved to more standard console fare with launch on Xbox One, PS4, Switch and PC. Now though the next step is being taken as The Persistence Enhanced arrives on Xbox Series X|S, just a short while after we saw the upgrades hit PC and PS5.
If survival horror is your bag and you just love a bit of roguelike action, The Persistence Enhanced is going to be for you. Dialling up the atmosphere and delivering tension like never before the Enhanced version of The Persistence hits Xbox Series X|S as either a free upgrade for those with the original game, or as a fully standalone product, one that will set you back £24.99 from the relevant digital store of your choosing.
A PS5 and PC drop occurred just recently, and what’s more, if you’re a PS5 player, The Persistence Enhanced is releasing in boxed flavour too, present and correct on the store shelves in Europe.
But why should you be found upgrading to The Persistence Enhanced? Well, the standard game already offers up a brutal take on the survival horror genre as players are dropped onboard a deep space colony starship in the year 2521. It’s up to those same players to make sense of the constantly changing ship layout as they head off on runs to repair systems and prevent the ship from being torn apart from within. The thing is, it throws some roguelike elements into the action for good measure.
This newly enhanced version of the game though takes things further still. You’ll find improved lighting and particle effects, the addition of a Raytracing Quality mode, and then immersive haptic feedback for those utilising DualSense on PS5. PC players will also discover the addition of DXR implementation if they have a supported graphics card.
Key features include:
- Navigate an ever-changing labyrinth. Each and every expedition into The Persistence will be unique, with a different layout, items and gear to collect & upgrade.
- Use darkness and cover. Avoid being overwhelmed by the ship’s deadly new inhabitants. Move stealthily, strike from the shadows and deflect any onslaught of counter attacks with your personal shield.
- Death is just the beginning. If Zimri dies, her consciousness is uploaded into a new cloned body, ready to try again with any upgraded stats, suits & weapon schematics kept for the next attempt.
- Upgrade and augment. Resequence DNA to improve health, toughness and defensive stats or even harvest crew DNA to create cloned bodies of crewmembers to inhabit, each with their own unique abilities
- Enhanced for XBOX Series X|S. Includes improved lighting, particle effects and further UX & UI refinements. A Raytracing enabled ‘Quality’ Mode is also included for XBOX Series X.
We’d guess that the other now standard next-gen upgrades are present too, like faster loading times for instance. In all it probably means there hasn’t been as good a time to play The Persistence as now with the launch of The Persistence Enhanced on Xbox Series X|S, PS5 and PC. You’ll find the Xbox Store providing access to the enhanced Xbox Series X|S edition.
Agree? Let us know if you’ll be found running the galactic gauntlet with this upgrade. And if you haven’t played the game yet, check out our full review of The Persistence on Xbox – it’s well worth persisting through.
The Persistence challenges you to survive aboard a doomed starship, overrun with horrific and murderous abberations. Explore, evade and fight your way through the depths to bring the craft home.