It’s been some years, but now it’s time to take it back to where it all began, with the newly rebooted Saints Row.
After picking up much acclaim over the years, the Saints Row franchise had seemingly run out of options. I mean, you’ve conquered the universe in Saints Row IV and gone deep into the depths of Hell with Gat out of Hell. it left Deep Silver Volition with one option – to take it back to the beginning and to deliver an origin story. It’s with that in which Saints Row excels.
We’ve been playing Saints Row for a few weeks already and whilst there are issues, it’s a game that delivers a host of fun. Our full review of Saints Row on Xbox Series X|S (and yes, this is optimised for the next gen with multiple visual options in place) is up and live, chatting about how it delivers a great new world of Santo Ileso, one that if full of opportunity, along with a host of always fun missions. We urge you to give the review a read as you await your download of Saints Row to take place.
But why should you buy it? Well, if that review doesn’t sell it, then let us tell you about the multiple side quests, the challenges on offer, the secrets to uncover, the photos to take, the combat to involve yourself in, the car driving, the plane flying, the wingsuit and freefalling, the… Yeah, you get the idea – there’s tons here. Including an old Insurance Fraud favourite.
Saints Row is also a game that is highly customisable. In fact, it’s pretty much more amendable than anything else on the market, with deep character customisation, weapon upgrades, vehicle changes (yep, chop shop action!) and more. Deep Silver Volition have given you the tools to have a ton of fun.
Key game features include:
- ● Witness the Birth of The Saints – Play through an action blockbuster original story full of criminality, extraordinary scenes and signature surprises laced with humor.
- ● Discover the Weird, Wild, West – Dive in to Santo Ileso, the biggest and best Saints Row playground ever, spread across nine unique districts surrounded by the vast, majestic beauty of the Southwest Desert.
- ● Build Your Criminal Empire – Take over the city block by block, wage war against enemy factions and tighten your grip on the streets with ingenious criminal ventures.
- ● Fire Guns. LOTS of Guns – Shoot revolvers from the hip, fire and forget with a rocket launcher, or obliterate up close using melee heavyweights, complete with brutal takedowns. A vast variety of familiar and exotic weapons, all customizable, and all deadly fun.
- ● Take to the Streets and the Skies – Blast through urban and desert environments in any one of the cars, bikes, planes, helicopters, VTOLs, hoverbikes, hoverboards, go-karts or equip your wingsuit to swoop around.
- ● Unprecedented Customization – Create the Boss of your dreams, with the most extensive character customization suite ever seen in the series, then complete the look with incredible options for weapons and vehicles.
- ● Seamless Co-Op – Experience everything on offer with a friend at any time, via fully untethered drop-in / drop out co-op, skipping the need to take either of you out of the outlandish action. Play nice together, or play all new pranks on your team mate. After all, who’s the Boss now.
So how do you get involved? Well, there’s the £59.99 Standard Edition available on the Xbox Store and that will give you access to the base game. Further to that is the £84.99 Gold Edition which adds in a host of DLC drops based around the gangs you’ll meet in Saints Row – mostly The Idols and Los Panteros along with the Expansion Pass. The big edition is that of Saints Row Platinum Edition. This will set you back £94.99 but includes everything in the Gold Edition along with a copy of the rather lovely Saints Row The Third Remastered too. And yes, we love that game as well.
If you’re a fan of the Saints, you’ll want to be playing Saints Row. If you’re not, it’s certainly worth a consideration. Should you be after fun, it’ll provide it in spades, along with the chance to become self-made.
Let us know what you think and which version of Saints Row you’ll be buying. You’ll find it available on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S (those bold links above taking you to the relevant edition), on the PlayStation Store for PS4 and PS5 and on PC.
As the future Boss, with Neenah, Kevin, and Eli by your side, you’ll form The Saints – and take on Los Panteros, The Idols, and Marshall as you build your empire across the streets of Santo Ileso and battle for control of the city. Ultimately Saints Row is the story of a start-up company, it’s just that the business The Saints are in happens to be crime. Experience the biggest and best Saints Row playground ever created; the unique sprawling world of Santo Ileso is the backdrop for a wild, larger than life sandbox of thrilling side hustles, criminal ventures and blockbuster missions, as you shoot, drive, and wingsuit your way to the top.