Like in earlier versions, modding is also expected to feature prominently in Farming Simulator 22 billed for release this November. Modding enables players to become part of the game’s development thus creating a bond between fans and the game’s developer. Every new Farming Simulator installment comes with a variety of mods in the form of maps, buildings, cars, tools, objects, tractors, textures, etc. As the release date for Farming Simulator 22 draws nearer, the excitement in the game’s sizable modding family [and all fans of the game] heightens.
About Farming Simulator
Farming Simulator is a video game series developed by GIANTS Software, a tech firm headquartered in Zürich Switzerland with branches in Erlangen, Germany, and Brno, Czech Republic. The game is based on modern farming methods and is designed to enable players to creatively construct and manage their farms in three different environments in Europe and America. It is primarily focused on crop farming, livestock rearing, and forestry. Farming Simulator 22 is the latest installment of the exciting series and comes with some new features as well as the usual capacity for mods. Rumors had it that mods will not be integrated into Farming Simulator 22 but the developer has promptly dismissed such insinuations.
Performance Features to Expect in Farming Simulator 22
GIANTS lead software engineer, Thomas Brunner speculates that the improved Engine 9 which Farming Simulator 22 is expected to be powered with will make modding “as simple as possible.” Here are other improvements expected in the game.
The improved GIANTS Engine is also expected to come with texture streaming which will enable the developer to strongly load lesser or advanced texture resolution versions based on the visible output on the screen. As a result, the developer will be able to include additional articles into the farm environment in addition to reducing the recycled slots per vehicle, meanwhile the need to load the complete vehicles’ textures will no longer arise. Another benefit of texture streaming is the reduction of loading times because fewer texture data now have to be full at the beginning.
Farming Simulator used DirectX 11/OpenGL technology in its previous versions. But Farming Simulator 22 will make use of DirectX 12. The difference between both is that DirectX 12 enables game developers to exercise more control over the game’s interaction with both the Central Processing Unit (CPU) and Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
Therefore, the developer will be in a better position to directly and more efficiently manage and control all the resources and states involved. One outcome of this is a smaller amount of driver overhead and extra unrestricted CPU resources that can help in further activities.
Occlusion culling makes it possible for the developer to create even further comprehensive farming environments. It is yet another vital optimization technique that ensures that the engine does not perform any costly interpretation for entirely veiled items. For instance, containers hidden behind a cowshed will not be rendered until they are seen. This helps to improve efficiency by saving assets.
Graphics Features to Anticipate
Shadow interpreting developments are expected in the GIANTS Engine 9. This feature enables the developer to render very distant shadows thereby helping to enhance the graphical value in the distance. This will make your farmlands appear more realistic and natural.
Parallax Occlusion Mapping
If enabled in the settings, parallax occlusion can offer further comprehensive and vibrant terrains and surfaces. This leads to real results and adds depth to Farming Simulator 22 surfaces. An example is the tire tracks trenching in the ground on your field.
Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA)
It is a technology that is effective in reducing rendering artifacts that are not wanted in the game, e.g., a jagged edge or flickering specular highlights with the information from past frames. Though the TAA algorithm is used by default in GIANTS Engine 9, it can easily be disabled if you are not satisfied with it, either for performance or other reasons.
Earlier versions of the Farming Simulator game had multisample anti-aliasing [MSAA] feature enabled by default to serve as an anti-aliasing key. However, TAA is quicker and typically yields superior outcomes when compared to MSAA. For instance, while MSAA only boosts the value of symmetrical edges, TAA not only accomplishes this but also facilitates the reduction of other artifacts, e.g., the above-mentioned flickering specular highlights.
Minimum system requirements for farming simulator 22
Windows & Mac
- Intel Core i5-3330 or AMD FX-8320 or better
- 35 GB free hard drive space
- 8 GB RAM
- AMD Radeon R7 265 graphics card, Nvidia Geforce GTX 660, or better (min 2GB VRAM, DX11/DX12 support)
- Windows 10 64bit
Apart from the developer’s website, mods are available for download on a legion of websites as long as you enter the appropriate search terms in your query [e.g., fs22 mods download, download farming 22 mods, etc]. But with so many sites available, how do you determine a safe site to download from?
The safest way to download mods is directly from the official Mod Hub, maintained by the game developer itself. Another popular way is from mod sites, like ModLand, which has a comprehensive list of Farming Simulator 22 mods, and also has security features, like virus scanning of files uploaded to their servers, which adds an extra layer of security.
After selecting a site to download from and proceeding to download, your downloaded mod should save in one of the three file types below:
- Zip files: zipped files are compressed files that require less storage space and can be more speedily transferred to other computers than uncompressed files. All you have to do here is copy the mod’s zip folder into the Farming Simulator 22 mods folder.
- Exe files: exe is a short form for executable. Exe files are among the easiest to install. An executable file is designed to have an encoded sequence of instructions that the system can directly process or execute immediately after the file icon is clicked. So after downloading, just double click on the mod file to commence installation.
- Rar files: are also compressed files but compared to ZIP files, RAR [which is an abbreviation for Roshal Archive] offers some advanced features like more convenient multivolume archives, tight compression [including the special solid mode], and recovery records to repair an archive even in if there is damage to physical data. Rar is a data container that can store one or numerous files in compressed form. After downloading a file in Rar format, you need to unpack or extract its contents [which can be in the form of zip or exe files] before you use them. This file format can be very effective for downloading maps but be sure to extract the downloaded file to your computer’s data folder.
With the continuous emergence of new technologies, improvements continue to occur in the digital world. Since Farming Simulator 17, Giants has simplified the Farming Simulator installation process. Therefore, installing your downloaded Farming Simulator 22 app should not last long if all the prescribed steps are followed.
Tips on how to install Farming Simulator 22 Mods on Windows PC
- The first step is to locate the downloaded zip file [usually in the ‘Downloads’ folder or any other default download location]
- Copy or cut the file
- Go to your mods folder which is usually found at C:\Users\[Your Username]\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\mods
- Finally, open the folder and paste the zip file
- Be sure to check the boxes next to the mods you intend to add to the game before commencing a new game or loading a saved game
- The game’s German version comes with different folder names
Tips on how to install Farming Simulator 22 Mods on Mac OS X
Copy the zip file [without unpacking it] into the folder below:
The following folder is the mod folder for the App Store version of Farming Simulator22:
Warning: the higher the number of active mods, the greater the loading times, and using script mods increases the likelihood of mod conflicts.