It originally started off as a student project, before making it big as a crowdfunded indie title on PC, Mac, Linux, PS4 and PS Vita. Now though Lunar Ray Games are pushing Timespinner out once more, with a launch on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch – alongside those other formats mentioned earlier – Timespinner sees us travelling back in time to join Lunais as she embarks on a quest for revenge and the opportunity to change fate itself.
Priced up at £14.99, Timespinner is a wonderfully crafted story-driven adventure that has been hugely inspired by the classics from back in the 1990s. Running as an action platformer you’ll be given the chance to navigate through and explore a world that comes with some stunningly drawn, highly detailed pixel art environments.
Moving between the present and past, Timespinner will attempt to mess with your mind as you help Lunais move her way through Lachiem, destroying enemies and picking up magical orbs in the process. With many others to befriend and take into battle, Timespinnner will look to test your skills in more ways than one, pushing things to the limit as you take on intense boss battles and try to take down the Emperor as you go. Oh, and you’ll no doubt discover plenty of secrets and hidden areas in the process.
- Control the Timespinner to bend time to your advantage, evading foes, using them as platforms and solving puzzles
- Discover a lovingly-crafted, beautiful pixel art world and uncover a rich story universe
- Explore both the past and present of Lachiem, from grand medieval castles, to sparkling serene lakes, a bustling metropolis and even a space-age laboratory!
- Clobber enemies with Magic Orbs which grow in power the more you use them
- Befriend mysterious Familiars and train them to aid you in battle
- Take on challenging boss battles with an emphasis on skill, timing and dodging
- Locate hidden areas and treasures through secret walls and platforming puzzles
- Invite a second player to join the adventure by controlling Lunais’ Familiar in local co-op mode
- Rock out to a gothic PS1-style soundtrack by Jeff Ball (composer for Tiny Barbarian DX and violinist for Steven Universe) with retro SFX by Power Up Audio (Crypt of the Necrodancer, Celeste, Into the Breach)
- Playable in English, German, Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese!
If you’re up for a challenge and have missed out on the wonderful world of Timespinner so far then the release on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch should certainly be something to engross yourself in. The usual digital stores will sort you out for a download, with the Xbox Store providing the goodies for us Xbox One gamers while the Nintendo eShop will sort out the Switch players.
Let us know in the comments below if you will be falling into the world of Timespinner on Xbox One – and make sure you keep an eye out for an upcoming review from ourselves.
With her family murdered in front of her and the ancient Timespinner device destroyed, Lunais is suddenly transported into an unknown world, stranded with seemingly no hope of return. Using her power to control time, Lunais vows to take her revenge on the evil Lachiem Empire, but sometimes the course of history isn’t quite as black and white as it seems… Explore a vast, connected world with beautifully drawn and detailed pixel art environments. Traverse between the barren present and luscious past of Lachiem, collecting elemental magic orbs and combining their power to destroy enemies with blades and spells. Befriend mysterious creatures called Familiars, such as the adorable dream dragon Meyef, and train them to aid you in battle. Test your skills and timing with intense boss battles, and you venture forth to take on the Emperor himself!