It is well known in gaming circles that if you’re planning on releasing a new experience that runs the full motion video route, then getting the kings of FMV on board is a necessity. And that’s what is happening here today as Wales Interactive get behind The Complex, dropping a new trailer in the process.
Initially revealed back in mid-2019 and created by Good Gate Media, Little Jade Productions and Wales Interactive themselves, The Complex is the next FMV title looking to enthuse gamers on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Running the completely live-action, super interactive, highly sci-fi route, The Complex will hit PC and console come 31st March 2020, throwing us into a deeply immersive narrative that plays out with a choose-your-own adventure style.
The Complex will follow a narrative that revolves around the aftermath of a major bio-weapon attack on London, as two scientists find themselves in a locked-down laboratory with time, and air, running out. From there it is up to you to sort things out, working with the decision making gameplay, as your actions and your relationships with other characters will lead you to one of eight suspenseful endings.
- The Story – Having treated the victims of a chemical attack in the totalitarian state of Kindar, Dr Amy Tenant (Michelle Mylett) is a leader in the advancement of Nanocell Technology. Now, in London, news breaks of a blood-vomiting civilian whose identity is far from coincidental. Reunited with an old friend, Amy is trapped in an impenetrable HQ of laboratories—a womb of scientific advancement with a perilous secret.
- Relationship Tracking – Throughout the game you will interact with characters and — depending on your choices — will either strengthen or weaken your relationship. The relationship scores are calculated from the start right through to the very end and will affect certain scenarios as well as having major consequences in the concluding scenes.
- Personality Tracking – For every decision you make, every interaction, your character’s personality is being tracked. At the end of each playthrough, you are rewarded with a Personality Score and a breakdown to see how you played the game. Discover the five basic dimensions of a personality; openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism. Which of those will your character play?
Features of The Complex on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC include:
- A completely live action, cinematic interactive sci-fi thriller, filmed in the UK.
- Directed by Paul Raschid, and written by Lynn Renee Maxcy (The Handmaid’s Tale – TV Series).
- Multi-optional storytelling with 8 different outcomes.
- Real-time Relationship Status Tracking that influences the story as you play.
- Real-time Personality Trait Tracking that evolves based on your choices.
- Starring Michelle Mylett (Letterkenny, Bad Blood), Kate Dickie (Game of Thrones, The Witch) and Al Weaver (Grantchester).
- Guest acting performance by live streamer and presenter, Leah Viathan.
- Unlockable features include Skip Scene, Personality Assessment and a Hidden Event.
- Featuring a Pause Choices option for improved audience participation during live streams.
With Wales Interactive having previously nailed the FMV scene with the likes of Late Shift, Headspun and The Shapeshifting Detective, chances are that The Complex will be one to keep an eye on. We’ll be sure to let you know once that 31st March launch day comes around, but for now, check out the latest trailer below.