Oh, hello: Evergate is a bit of a looker. Saved for the launch of the Xbox Series X, presumably to show off these looks further, Evergate is a crisp, beautifully animated and dreamy platformer that looks a bit like Rayman Legends, if Rayman Legends were developed by Jonathon Blow rather than Ubisoft.
Evergate is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S after previously dropping on Switch and PC via Steam.
You play a soul called Ki, travelling through the afterlife to recover your memories, on a quest to find a soul that you share a connection with. This takes place in a 2D puzzle-driven platformer, where you have some fascinating tools to achieve your goal. Ki can slow time, travel across time and space, and – most pertinent to how you play the game – wield a Soulflame, which can bounce you across gaps, slice things open, or swing you across chasms. There’s a combo system that allows your powers to multiply as you use it against several targets at once. It seems, in true Metroidvania fashion, that this Soulflame develops over the game, introducing you to new abilities.
Evergate surfaced on PC and Switch some time ago, and reviews have already been positive. Metacritic has this at 70% on Switch and Steam at 8/10, and developers Stone Lantern Games have had additional time to let this one bake for the launch today on Xbox Series X.
- Soulflame mechanic: Slow down time, take aim, and unleash the mysterious power hidden within every crystal you encounter with the unique Soulflame mechanic. Hit multiple crystals at once and experiment with how their energies combine.
- Reveal the memories of a life left behind: Move across time and space to uncover Ki’s mysterious connection to another soul.
- Collect essence, unlock artifacts: Rise to the challenge and collect essence by completing challenges on every level. Use them to unlock ancient artifacts and boost Ki’s abilities.
- Dream-like art style: Gorgeous environmental backdrops paired with beautifully hand-drawn illustrations bring Ki and Evergate’s environments to life.
- Enchanting soundtrack: Enjoy an elegantly orchestrated original soundtrack, recorded by a live orchestra, and tailor-made for each environment.
We don’t exactly see a dearth of puzzle-platformers and Metroidvanias on Xbox One, but this is the first on the Xbox Series X and it’s looking like a top-tier attempt. A review is incoming, and we’ll give you the lowdown on where this sits in the puzzle-platformer premier league.
Evergate is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, and will cost you just £7.99. It’s also out on Switch and PC via Steam.
Wield your Soulflame, unleash extraordinary powers, and dive into the touching story of two kindred spirits. Guide the child-like soul Ki on a journey through the beautiful and haunting Afterlife in this unique 2D puzzle platformer.